Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husky cross has got quite a sensitive stomach and we generally stick to dry dog food that we get from a wholesale place. We've been feeding him a mix made for working dogs, which was recommended to us by various people, and he's been on it for around the last couple of months. Before this we tried a load of other varieties/brands but he got diarrhoea an awful lot. He's been back and forth to the vet's who said that it's just a sensitive stomach and to stick with this dry food, but the problem is he just seems so bored of it and looks very disappointed whenever he sees hiw bowl! I mix in some chicken and turkey, which again doesn't seem to cause any adverse reaction, and he also gets plenty of good treats/bones etc, but was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for any other good quality dry dog food for breeds like his?
Also, we've tried him on other forms of diet - most of which just made his diarrhoea worse so dry food definitely seems to be the stuff he most agrees with.
Cheers guys!

·
Registered
604 Posts
one of our boys gets asensitive stomach - and gets terrible gas :lol2: our vet suggested wainwrights which is often recommended for dogs with allergys, and its really helped loads, he doesnt get bloated like he used to (used to feed eukanuba puppy/young adult) and nomore terrible gas!! The only downside is that it can be quite expensive

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I know Blu's not a husky (lol) but he does have food sensitivities, and Skinners duck and rice has him in great nick now - no more acne, diarrhoea or scurfy skin.

I'd recommend not putting extras in for him if he's fussy. Pick a good food, stick with it, and dont add anything to it. If he leaves it, he leaves it, he wont starve. Plus changing diets often will cause an upset tum.

Edit - since when was wainrights more expensive than eukanuba? LOL! Eukanuba is really the pits, especially considering its price.

·
Registered
492 Posts
i use arden grange lamb and rice from nutrecare as our german shepherd blade has very sensitive tummy this is the only food that he is ok with.

£24 15kg bag i think or £28.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
If he's bored with just biscuit try adding some tinned Chappie to it. Chappie is mainly fish based & is very good for sensitive stomachs :2thumb:.

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
If he's bored with just biscuit try adding some tinned Chappie to it. Chappie is mainly fish based & is very good for sensitive stomachs :2thumb:.

mine shizered through the eye on an needle when i tried them with chappie meat :lol2:

i just have a change every now and then between the different working breed foods with my lot

i have one who is really sensitive tum wise where as the other 2 can eat anything and it not bother them

i use dr johns gold, arkwrights, arden grange and they are also ok on the beta grey hound too

do you leave food down all the time or have certain feeding times?

i found when i left food down all the time they just picked at it as if they were bored of it

i now feed them twice a day once in the morning and again at tea time and they enjoy it better that way

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help and tips guys!

Initially we had set times when we fed him but then we were advised to leave the food down as he would just pick at it as and when he wanted it, so that's what we've been doing recently. But like you said - he ends up getting bored and going over for a quick sniff and picking up a biscuit or two before spitting it out somewhere else in the house!

May try the set meal times thing again and see if he appreciates it more then.

·
Registered
16,933 Posts

Initially we had set times when we fed him but then we were advised to leave the food down as he would just pick at it as and when he wanted it, so that's what we've been doing recently. But like you said - he ends up getting bored and going over for a quick sniff and picking up a biscuit or two before spitting it out somewhere else in the house!

i had exactly the same probs with mine doing that

i did notice a big difference when i changed to the set meals they seemed to enjoy their food again

·
Registered
5,225 Posts

If he picks, he needs it taking up not leaving down. Offer him his food twice a day (or three?) - leave it for 15 minutes, if it's not gone, take it up and offer it again at his next mealtime. This is another reason why adding fresh/tinned food wont work, as that'll be wasted, if you stick with dried then you can offer the same food back.

If you leave it down all day that just says to him there's food there when he wants it, if you take it up and offer at mealtimes that teaches him that he'd better eat it all otherwise he'll go hungry til the next mealtime.

I've had a dog go 2 days without eating that way, but they soon learnt!

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
If he picks, he needs it taking up not leaving down. Offer him his food twice a day (or three?) - leave it for 15 minutes, if it's not gone, take it up and offer it again at his next mealtime. This is another reason why adding fresh/tinned food wont work, as that'll be wasted, if you stick with dried then you can offer the same food back.

If you leave it down all day that just says to him there's food there when he wants it, if you take it up and offer at mealtimes that teaches him that he'd better eat it all otherwise he'll go hungry til the next mealtime.

I've had a dog go 2 days without eating that way, but they soon learnt!
yups mine were doing the same just picking here and there and never eating a full proper meal

thats why i changed back to the food down twice a day at set times

they happily eat whatever is put in front of them

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
My husky cross has got quite a sensitive stomach and we generally stick to dry dog food that we get from a wholesale place. We've been feeding him a mix made for working dogs, which was recommended to us by various people, and he's been on it for around the last couple of months. Before this we tried a load of other varieties/brands but he got diarrhoea an awful lot. He's been back and forth to the vet's who said that it's just a sensitive stomach and to stick with this dry food, but the problem is he just seems so bored of it and looks very disappointed whenever he sees hiw bowl! I mix in some chicken and turkey, which again doesn't seem to cause any adverse reaction, and he also gets plenty of good treats/bones etc, but was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for any other good quality dry dog food for breeds like his?
Also, we've tried him on other forms of diet - most of which just made his diarrhoea worse so dry food definitely seems to be the stuff he most agrees with.
Cheers guys!
With all the different things you are offering him I'm surprised that you claim he has a sensitive stomach.
Why not just give a good complete diet and stop mucking about adding stuff to it and messing up the protein levels etc.
I would also suggest you stop anthropomorphising and suggesting he is feeling bored or disappointed. That's silly.
If he's fine on the complete he is getting now, stick with that instead of pratting about .
I don't mean to sound harsh but really, you claim your dog is so delicate he gets the squits, but then you add turkey or chicken to an already complete diet, and then give treats on top. If he doesn't have the squits from that lot, then love, he ain't sensitive :lol2:
Why on earth would you even think about changing his diet if you believe him to be delicate and in danger of getting the squits if you do change?
Why are you so obsessed about his diet? You buy kibble, you put it down, then walk away and leave him to eat. Simple.Can't see why you'd buy kibble, put it down, then stand and try to analyse his emotions and watch to see if you can tell how he is feeling. It's nutrition for goodness sakes, he gets hungry, he eats. He doesn't have to feel any kind of emotional connection to it.
It wouldn't occur to me to check my dogs for signs that they are getting any enjoyment from the kibble I put down any more than I would expect to get emotionally involved with the food I eat. And my dogs don't get 'treats' either. I don't believe in them. They are uneccessary, nutritionally and financially.They get food. That's it.
I fill a big hopper with food for them to pick at through the day. They eat or they don't eat. As long as nobody puts on too much weight, or loses weight, I take no notice other than fill the hopper up when it gets empty.
I feed whatever I feel like getting. Normally awkwrights , or the local pet shop own brand but in the last 2 weeks chudleys original cos a shop was flogging it off at £5 a bag. I refuse to spend more than a tenner a sack.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With all the different things you are offering him I'm surprised that you claim he has a sensitive stomach.
Why not just give a good complete diet and stop mucking about adding stuff to it and messing up the protein levels etc.
I would also suggest you stop anthropomorphising and suggesting he is feeling bored or disappointed. That's silly.
If he's fine on the complete he is getting now, stick with that instead of pratting about .
I don't mean to sound harsh but really, you claim your dog is so delicate he gets the squits, but then you add turkey or chicken to an already complete diet, and then give treats on top. If he doesn't have the squits from that lot, then love, he ain't sensitive :lol2:
Why on earth would you even think about changing his diet if you believe him to be delicate and in danger of getting the squits if you do change?
Why are you so obsessed about his diet? You buy kibble, you put it down, then walk away and leave him to eat. Simple.Can't see why you'd buy kibble, put it down, then stand and try to analyse his emotions and watch to see if you can tell how he is feeling. It's nutrition for goodness sakes, he gets hungry, he eats. He doesn't have to feel any kind of emotional connection to it.
It wouldn't occur to me to check my dogs for signs that they are getting any enjoyment from the kibble I put down any more than I would expect to get emotionally involved with the food I eat. And my dogs don't get 'treats' either. I don't believe in them. They are uneccessary, nutritionally and financially.They get food. That's it.
I fill a big hopper with food for them to pick at through the day. They eat or they don't eat. As long as nobody puts on too much weight, or loses weight, I take no notice other than fill the hopper up when it gets empty.
I feed whatever I feel like getting. Normally awkwrights , or the local pet shop own brand but in the last 2 weeks chudleys original cos a shop was flogging it off at £5 a bag. I refuse to spend more than a tenner a sack.
I didn't think I was messing around with his diet unduly, nor am I 'obsessed' with it. It was just a question pertaining to how the situation is at the moment. I have stuck with the same dry stuff as it seemed to be working and up until not so long back he was enjoying it. Therefore, problem seemed to be solved. It was the vet who advised gradually adding a bit of chicken/turkey to it if his diarrhoea seemed to be easing. In fact it was also the vet that brought up the issue of dogs getting bored with the same food every day and to try to add a bit of variety should his stomach seem to settle more as he got older. It certainly wasn't just me being overly emotional about my dog's eating habits; although admittedly the issue of dogs getting bored with their diet did (and doesn't) seem an alien concept to me either. And it is therein that the problem now lies as he does not seem to enjoy that food anymore to the point where he could go a couple of days without touching the dry stuff, and while, yes, I'm sure if he was hungry enough he would eat it, I would prefer him to have something that both is nutritionally sound and does not aggravate his stomach but also something that he actually likes too. Hence I decided to see if anyone else had any recommendations.
Cheers for your input!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts