Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wanted to ask do adult dubia roaches eat the baby roaches or can they be housed together no problem?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
essentially as above, as long as they have food (grains like oats etc), and fresh veg, then they will be fine

i'm not sure that they eat one another alive, but they will certainly eat dead roaches if they don't have enough food

I avoid water/crystals myself, I keep my roach colony dry, and give fresh veg every other day, to avoid humidity climbing and mite issues

·
Registered
550 Posts
you do get them being ate but as above says aslong as you have lots of food such as cat food poulty feed anything high protein it wont happen as much

·
Registered
94 Posts
Its not in their nature to cannibalise and will not do it under normal conditions. Something to consider if you do separate them for whatever reason is the young nymphs eat the frass of the older roaches and is important for their growth.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
you do get them being ate but as above says aslong as you have lots of food such as cat food poulty feed anything high protein it wont happen as much
dubia's shouldn't be fed any more than 10% protein, and it should be plant protein, otherwise they build up Uric Acid, and this will lead to Gout in reptiles fed on them

grains (like oats, bran) + fresh veg is all they need to thrive, and provides all the protein they need

·
Registered
94 Posts
dubia's shouldn't be fed any more than 10% protein, and it should be plant protein, otherwise they build up Uric Acid, and this will lead to Gout in reptiles fed on them

grains (like oats, bran) + fresh veg is all they need to thrive, and provides all the protein they need
I was not aware of the uric acid thing thats kinda cool.. I tend to leave my roaches without food for days at a time and they always seem to be happy enough (I feed them mainly fish food 30-40% protein and all sorts of veg when I have them). I guess they are consuming the excess acid back into protein. Thanks for that info :)

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I was not aware of the uric acid thing thats kinda cool.. I tend to leave my roaches without food for days at a time and they always seem to be happy enough (I feed them mainly fish food 30-40% protein and all sorts of veg when I have them). I guess they are consuming the excess acid back into protein. Thanks for that info :)
yeah that's exactly it, and why roaches can live for months and months without any food, they need very little protein to survive and are very efficient at storing it as uric acid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts