Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one identify this, to me its a rotting egg sack (but i'm just guessing there) i keep finding them all over and just woundering if these are preventable.
Any advice would be greatly apresiated have managed to beed a few time with success but these sacks are becoming a more common sight like at the moment i have three like this one all rotting and one pure yellowish white (which i imagine is healthy) how can i prevent it from rotting?

Sorry its a bad photo, can try get a better one tomorrow.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi there.

This appears to be a female Dubia Ootheca, or egg sac yes.

The fact you are finding many of these lying around I would suggest is a bad sign, it could be a problem with temperature, food, or them being disturbed too often.

Disturbed females or females that are generally unhappy will produce an Ootheca from mating and then just push it out and drop it, and try again when conditions improove.

I would make sure the temps are ideal, good food is provided, and they are kept dark and left alone for days on end.

I check my colonies roughly once a week, adding more food and removing feeders to keep seperatly. I found production was vastly improoved by not disturbing them too often.

Any other questions give us a shout : victory:

·
Registered
345 Posts
After reading your post again, and noticing the part about a white one and your desire to stop it rotting. This is impossible, once a female discards an Ootheca all the eggs inside will die.

A female incubates the eggs inside her. Once mating takes place and ootheca is built and gradually extended from the end of the abdomen, once it is complete the female will drop it down a level into the incubation chamber and proceed to retract it fully inside her where the aggs will swell and incubate. It takes a couple of weeks when finally the female very fat and swollen will open her abdomen and deposit the tiny white babies usually in a small circle.

Babies take around an hour or so to harden their carapace and become a light grey colour.

So any ootheca you find not attached to a female is essentially dead.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks that helps a lot, i do check on them a bit to much mainly its been to keep an eye on these sacks at least i know what i'm doing wrong now thanks :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts