Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dubia Roaches - Blaptica dubia.
The actual feeding and maintenance applies to feeder sps. of Blaberus (craniifer, discoidalis etc).

Pros and Cons:-
+Dubia roaches are one of, if not the, easiest roaches to culture and feed with.
+They are livebearers and therefore breeding is a self contained no fuss process.
+They require very little care or maintenance.
+These roaches are relatively slow, terrible at climbing, don’t jump or fly (except a poor sputter or two).
-Dubias are generally a good sized meal for many reptiles, Blaberus species might be preferred for reptiles in need of larger foods however.
-They are very slow to culture in comparison to other available species, but once started are no problem.
-These roaches do best kept at quite high temps compared to room temperature.

Temperature and Humidity:-
These breed and thrive best at ~30C or even as high as 32C. And again, don’t need any additional humidity unless you experience losses from shedding issues. While humidity isn’t a threat to these roaches as it is for crickets, it will encourage mould, fungus and bad smells.

Foods:-
Fresh foods are slices of apple, orange, carrot, potato and leafy greens. Dried pelleted foods should be 30% protein for greatest productivity for your colony.
The container is best bare bottomed with only dried pellets on it, fresh foods should be offered on top of egg crate to prevent raising the humidity. As with the other care guides, the food I’ve chosen is based on cleanliness, most other foods will go soggy and encourage flies.

General maintenance:-
Around every 6 months you may want to filter the colony into a clean container and clear out the frass, bodies etc at the bottom.
A weekly check for dead bodies and missed food is a good idea.
A brilliant guide to separating sizes can be found here;
http://www.theroachguy.com/caresheet.htm

Breeding:-
No effort necessary! Just keep your colony well fed with plenty of protein, good high temps and feed out the males to try and reach a 1:7 ratio of males to females. Females produce ootheca which they carry in a pouch in the abdomen until they are ready to hatch, you’ll often find females looking guilty before running off and revealing a new bunch of up to 30 babies.
Discarded ootheca will not hatch and can just be binned or left as additional food for others.

A small scale colony;

A colony of thousands only needs this much space and this much food every other day;

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/JerseyLotte/insects/dubias.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/JerseyLotte/insects/dubia.jpgAnd Blaberus roaches kept much the same way but with a bark chip substrate;

All Images and Text Copyright © Charlotte Goble 2009

·
Registered
286 Posts
great Care Guide!

This is an awsome care guide
thank you
:2thumb:

Owner Of
Rex the bearded dragon
Skittles,Female Leopard Gecko
Monty, Male leopard gecko
alpha, whites tree frog
susana,Crested Gecko
and Anubis,Sandfish Skink

Reactions: Tehanu

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a colony of Dubia roaches and tbh, am quite fascinated by them - took me some time to pick up the bigger males and females, but have no problem now - these guys are fed to my BTS and to my friend's beardie and leopard gecko. Also breed mealworms

·
Registered
101 Posts
males have the wings while the female are broader and somewhat slower

·
Registered
57 Posts
We bought dubia roaches when we got my chinese water dragon, but he refused to eat them so I just kept them as pets :lol: my mom hates them I wan't them gone, and I'm worried for not only them, but my mealies too since she hired cleaning ladies :naughty::-x

I mean, what are they going to do when they see a bin filled with cockroaches and a cup filled with weird beige "caterpiller" like worm things?
Other than that, one escaped into my lizard's habitat and he refused to eat it, so I stood there bent over trying to catch this little roach for a whole hour, and at the same time I was trying to keep this lizard from jumping out!

They are fairly quick when they want to be, but other than that they are super easy to feed if your animal is willing to eat them :2thumb: and one of the best things out there

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.