Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my friend was bought a domestic rat (female) for xmas, and she wants to get another as a companion as she thinks its lonely. Shes going to be moving in with me in september, and we were talking yesterday about the cool exotic rats you can get like Dumbos. We know nothing about the differences in keeping different rats like these, but really like them so we were hoping for some advice.

a) could you keep a normal domestic in with a dumbo/other exotic rat
b)would they be able to breed (i,e. would we need another female to make sure we didnt get babies)
c)is their care any different?
d) what other types of rat are there except dumbo?

Ive been looking on google but just dont seem to find much, or im just not looking at the right sites i suppose

Thanks
Sarah

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hiya I must say I never really thought about it but I have 6 rats one of which is a dumbo and shes in with 3 other normals (there was a mix in the pet shop) and I've had no probs, would expect them to be able to breed if you had male/female so I'd get another female to be on the safe side, however males are supposed to be more 'cuddly' whereas females are more inquisitive... apparently :)

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!! its just one of those things we didnt want to end up with problems with!!

are there any other kinds of rat other than normal and dumbo? i seem to remember some random ones but cant find the pages!! doh!~

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
lol the rats are my blokes thing - I don't know what other types there are, perhaps try pimperella or nerys as I think they both breed various types (possibly!)

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much! i think we'll look into it, the dumbos look so soppy and cute!

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Dumbo rats are the same species as 'normal' rats (they're a "morph" of rat) - and for the most part they're just exactly like standard rats in care. Yes, they WILL breed with standard rats (and if you did breed, you'd get top-eared het dumbo babies).

You can also get rex rats with wavy, plush fur and naked rats with very sparse fur, and sometimes even tailless rats.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dumbo rats and 'normal' rats are in fact the same animal. Dumbo is just another variety and the only difference between them are the ears.

Other species of rat include Giant African pouched rats, but their level of care is entirely different and they cannot be kept with fancy rats whatsoever.

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Dumbo rats only refer to the type of ears on a Normal Fancy Rat. The other type being the Top earred where their ears are set (positioned) normally.
You can get a lot of different coat types and colours but they are all just Fancy rats. So you can get Dumbo who are also Rex and Satin at the same time.
My fave Type at the moment being my Russian Blue Dumbo Satin Rexes. Everything I love in one rat! Heaven! :smile:

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
It's great, the top eareds never judge the dumbos just cause they have big ears lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
you should def get her a friend, as said dumbos are normal rats. whatever you get make sure its female for more info try Fancy Rats | Home

·
Registered
333 Posts
Rats love company! To have one on it's own is a real shame, and you run the risk of it being quite depressed. If it's been on it's own for quite some time ask your friend to go easy on the introductions - they need to get to know each other before being housed together. When i'm introducing newbies I tend to do it over a period of several days meeting outside the home environment but making sure that the homes are positioned quite close to allow them to interact without the pressure. Another tip, which has worked for me is to swap the homes (without cleaning them) to allow them to get familiar with the others smells. Good luck to your friend i'm sure they'll have great fun!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have one rat left, as I don't intend to keep them anymore (I'm saving to move out and they tend to cost £100s in vet bills each), and I can tell she's been pretty depressed and bored since her sisters died :(

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have one rat left, as I don't intend to keep them anymore (I'm saving to move out and they tend to cost £100s in vet bills each), and I can tell she's been pretty depressed and bored since her sisters died :(
:( that's sad, but unfortunately enevitable, have you got a toy furry that she can snuggle up to?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts