Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DWA licences?
How easy are they to obtain and how do I go about getting one?
purely a hypothetical question at the moment but I have been looking at some dwarf caimans and they are awesome, I also like the beaded lizards and either would be a little out of the ordinary, I am thinking of way in the future but as I know next to nothing about DWA's I thought I would ask here???

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
you apply through the government i think. usually it seems the people who get them live in isolated areas, i.e the countryside and have the correct habitat for them to live in. i presume its based on experience aswell but im not sure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
From what I'v read you apply to your local council, and depending on how strict they are, or how much they just dont know it could be easy to get a DWA, or impossible. Some councils charge as little as £23 for the lisence (I think I read Telford charge that), but others charge really high rates. I believe Cheltenhen is £1600 a year!!! Some councils will demand certain things, such as the room you keep the animals in has 2 doors, is seeles air tight etc. Its really upto the individual council though, so you better off getting in touch with them.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
if you have the correct enclosure for one in a way it can never get out ive been told its quite easy to get one it cost £750 for a year where i live in derbyshire its alot harder to get one for snakes so ive been told from someone who already got a spectecle caiman which ive held and was really cute untill he told me it could proberly take my finger off even though it was a yearling

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
lol did they tell u that after they'd put it in ur hands :lol:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
yeah :D i reckon it was around 12-18 inches quite amazeing how much power they have i think they grow to 10ft it was as good as gold though he just sat there in my hand :D the owner had a dwarf caimen at 3 ft how cool would it be to own two aligators ther was no way i was going to attempt to hold that!!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
dwa license

Dwa license is available from your local district council, normaly the Health & housing dept. costs vary across the country, here in dorset it is less than £100 pounds a year, so not always so expensive!
But bear in mind that most species covered by the DWA are there for a reason, i.e they can hurt you really badly, so bearing that in mind they are not suitable PETS !.
But then neither are burmese pythons and any 16 year old can walk in to a pet shop and purchase one, go figure!!
I keep Gila monsters, beaded lizards, and cuviers dwarf caimen, for which I require DWA, yet the most dangerous animals I keep are burmese python / burm x retic hybrids, and for them I require nothing.
jerry

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
whats the guidelines for caimen then?

i know you need to apply for a DWA with a namesd species..

do the requirments change between wanting one for a caiman and wanting one for say, an eyelash viper..

N

·
Registered
257 Posts
a suitable enclosure for the species involved, proof that you have the appropriate knowledge to keep the species, and insurance. but it depends on your local district council, and perhaps the person you deal with.Each council has the right to specify what they want, it seems, only way to find out is to speak to them
j

·
Registered
20 Posts
DWA lisence

i am wanting to purchace a copperhead for england and i know if i would need a DWA lisence i know i probably would been as though i live in sheffield but what tests would i need to do if any and what age would i have to be to purchase a DWA lisence and care for a copper head please reply:2thumb:

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Yes, you would require a DWA licence to buy and keep a copperhead (Agkistrodon species if I remember rightly) anywhere in the UK - they are a listed species.

You'd almost certainly need to be over 18, since you have to have public liability insurance in your name on the building your animals would be in; I'm not sure what the license fee is for Sheffield. You'd also have to be able to prove to the inspecting vet that you can care for the animal and that you have a secure, snakeproof enclosure and room for the enclosure to go into.... at a minimum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts