Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont mean small snakes I mean Dwarf snakes that are dwarf to the real thing, DWARF corns, DWART Retic Pythons and now i have seen a DWARF Royal for sale, no pic though.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
never heard of the dwarf corn or royal but i know the dwarf rectics are a sub species foung in an island/s of ith indonasian mainland. reticules told me that when i asked about them. would be cool to get one though they still get pretty big. stunning though :)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
is there a dwarf green anaconda dan?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Big 5

Burmese : dwarf burms
Retics : dwarf retics
Afrock : lesser afrock
Scrub : tanimbar dwarf
Green Anaconda : yellow anaconda (there is a smaller green ssp but i can't remember the name

Smaller ones

Red tail boa : Hog island
Common Carpet : IJ carpet

I can't think of any other large snakes but if someone can come up with some i'll give you the dwarf version :D

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
dont be fooled by the term Dwarf, it is a word thats thrown around far to much... usually to make a sale, a dwarf retic can still reach 12-15ft long, maybe more as they are pretty slow growing.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
depends which kind of retic we are talking about? and yes 15ft would be tiny compared to some of their bigger relatives, i suppose they could be labled dwarfs but they are hardly small. if you look through all of the classifieds... Pre-loved ect you will see a fair few dwarf and super dwarf retics for sale and sometimes the seller cant even tell you what sub species the snake actually is. and thats what i meant by its used to much and to secure a sale.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Can we just clear up this sub species mess. They do not exist, they have not been accepted by cites and the paper describing them was out of date before it was released. You can not import P.r.jampeanus (as an example)

As for depending on what sort of retic we're talking about, not really. You have big ones and small ones. The smaller ones top out at around 15 feet and the bigger ones at around 25 feet (realistically).

I don't make judgements based on classifieds for the reason you give. People who have these do not allways know what they have so they resort to an inacurate american way of describing them. If it is a mix of several dwarf races or a mix of normal and dwarf then i can understand the generic label of "dwarf" as long as they are labelled as exactly what they are.

Unearthed a pet peave of mine, sorry :D

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
thats cleared that up then: victory: moral of the story though and Seriously for a minute, anyone considering a retic... dont buy one off of someone lableing it as a dwarf or super dwarf and expect it to stop growing at 8 or 9ft. it probably wont happen and you should prepare for a giant no matter what it is sold as. dwarf retics do exist but only in the sense that they dont reach 25-30ft long, they are still huge and quite dangerous snakes.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
dont forget Crawl cay boas/Pee Pee cay boas/Cay caulker boas all of which inhabit tiny sand cays and are dwarfs,incidentally all breed dwarfs too so has become genetic with them as opposed to just being environmentally induced by food shortages,dwarfism is common among insular animals around the world.
regards gaz

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
better not leave out B.c.sabogae either,nebulosa dont grow too big either although orophias do,maybe to do with being on large islands?
regards gaz

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
of course there are dwarf Nicaraguans and............................

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
:grin1:

G

·
Well this year or next i might well be interested in a coule of dwarf burms just to put them into my albino green project if funds allow me to do so

1 - 20 of 35 Posts