Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago I unfortunatly had a p metalica pass Away but never new what the cause of death was then.then stubled across a vid on youtube lastnight of a p rufilata displaying the same symtoms as my p metalica e.g little or no control over its legs and having what lookes like a fit of some sort after some research I found the symptoms relate to somthing called dyskinetic syndrome which the actual cause for is unknown but is probably caused by molds and chemicals that come into contact with tarantula

Has anyone else had experiance with this or any more information

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
I'd search this subforum, there are many thread on this issue.

Basically, until someone does some controlled work on it, if it even exists, then these conversations will just circle around the same stale information.

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
I really don't see the point of waiting for a scientific report to tell you why your tarantula has died. When our Ts die we all want to know why, in order to reduce the risk of it happening again.
You could check out Hubers and Lautensacker for info. And you should avoid some of the issues that have been suggested as possible culprits.

Reactions: callum b

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
I really don't see the point of waiting for a scientific report to tell you why your tarantula has died. When our Ts die we all want to know why, in order to reduce the risk of it happening again.
You could check out Hubers and Lautensacker for info. And you should avoid some of the issues that have been suggested as possible culprits.
Until someone experiments on some animals then such threads will continue as they always have - with a list of possible culprits added to the existing list, another batch of untested hypotheses.

Frontline, areosols, water chemistry, dehydration, feeder insect contamination from other chemicals, etc.

That's the entire issue in a nutshell - someone needs to go test these things and see which, if any, cause the same symptoms, consistently.

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
@GRB, That kind of argument discards common factors that hobbyists have found to kill tarantula. Whether that death is attributed to DKS or KillerTarantulaDeathSyndrome really doesnt matter to the hobbyist, the result is the same.

Out of interest, have you:
1. experienced the symptoms that others have described as DKS ie fast, erratic behaviour?
2. have you found any reference to DKS in any written articles, from credible people?
3. have you contacted the makers of Frontline?
4. have you experienced dehydration with tarantula?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was displaying the same behaviour as other discribed and vids I have watched
Been looking for some more credible rescources online but not having much luck if I do find somthing worth reading I will post a link

The tarantula was not displaying your normal signs of dehydration
Sorry but what do u mean by frontline

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
Frontline is a flea treatment. We contacted the makers a few yrs ago and asked about whether their treatment could have any bearing on the health of tarantula by indirect contact. They said most definitely.
So, if you have any pets that require flea treatment be cautious of inviting indirectly that treatment into your invert enclosures. The drops are much better but leave a couple of days before going near your Ts. And be mindful of stroking your pets and then do your Ts.
Dillon (Liverpool Uni) paper explains gut bacteria of locusts, and the other reference I gave is more recent on quality of foods we feed our inverts.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
@GRB, That kind of argument discards common factors that hobbyists have found to kill tarantula. Whether that death is attributed to DKS or KillerTarantulaDeathSyndrome really doesnt matter to the hobbyist, the result is the same.

Out of interest, have you:
1. experienced the symptoms that others have described as DKS ie fast, erratic behaviour?
2. have you found any reference to DKS in any written articles, from credible people?
3. have you contacted the makers of Frontline?
4. have you experienced dehydration with tarantula?
It doesn't discard anything: It sim[ly says grouping a bunch of deaths together under one title "DKS" is not helping understand any of them individually.

To answer your questions -

1. Nope, I've either been lucky or do not contact whatever substance / prey item / anything that causes these sorts of symptoms

2. Nope. I don't consider anything written about DKS so far to be credible really, unless there is a paper on it that I have missed written by someone who looked at cellular / toxicity material / dietary deficiencies.

Anything else is just heresay / anecdotal evidence. For all we know it could be a chronic lack of a vitamin in the diet just as much as the action of a pesticide.

3. Why would I do that? I was content with the cautious notion that all pesticides will probably affect arachnids. I don't see the need to approach Vapona and other pesticide manufacturers to confirm this.

I don't say this sound arrogant - the idea that frontline was a cause was, iirc, already proposed before I entered the hobby. From my background, the hypothesis that they would not cause damage to arachnids is counter intuitive, so I would have assumed that was one of the first things suggested.

4. No. I know the symptoms but my tarantulas have not suffered dehydration. I have however seen it in true spiders.

In refrence to 2 + 4: Does a Doctor need to experience an illness to diagnose it? Does the researcher need to have the illness to understand its mode of action? :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
The way I see it is Dyskinetic Syndrome is a symptom and not a disease in itself - dyskinetic just means "disordered movement"

A person seen moving dyskinetically could have Parkinsons Disease, they could have had a stroke, they could have sprained an ankle, they could be drunk or maybe their shoes are rubbing their feet! All those have different causes and are of different degrees of severity, but all could appear similar to a casual glance :)

Seeing disordered movement in a tarantula is often a precursor to it dying. But is the "DKS" the actual cause of the spider's decline and demise, or is it a symptom of another underlying problem? Spiders sometimes die without showing any movement problems. I have never lost a spider to "DKS" but I've lost some others. I lost an adult P. subfusca just a week or so ago for no obvious reason. She's been kept in the same conditions for the last 3 years and thrived, including dropping a good sac 2 years ago. Conversely I used to have a B. boehmei who would "spazz" at any disturbance. She actually looked like she was having a seizure. If I'd posted a video on here there would have been cries of "oh it's DKS"! I used to keep her in a different room which isn't used very often to minimise her funny turns, but she didn't die. I gave her to somebody and she is still doing well.

Without controlled studies being done regarding the actions of various substances on a group of spiders - be it Frontline contamination, locusts, tap water or all the other possibles which seem to get passed around as fact in the hobby, it's just supposition.

IMO it's a bit of a no-brainer that a substance like Frontline which is sold to control fleas and also ticks (which are arachnids) isn't going to be beneficial to your Ts if they come into contact with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts