Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
I'd search this subforum, there are many thread on this issue.

Basically, until someone does some controlled work on it, if it even exists, then these conversations will just circle around the same stale information.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
I really don't see the point of waiting for a scientific report to tell you why your tarantula has died. When our Ts die we all want to know why, in order to reduce the risk of it happening again.
You could check out Hubers and Lautensacker for info. And you should avoid some of the issues that have been suggested as possible culprits.
Until someone experiments on some animals then such threads will continue as they always have - with a list of possible culprits added to the existing list, another batch of untested hypotheses.

Frontline, areosols, water chemistry, dehydration, feeder insect contamination from other chemicals, etc.

That's the entire issue in a nutshell - someone needs to go test these things and see which, if any, cause the same symptoms, consistently.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
@GRB, That kind of argument discards common factors that hobbyists have found to kill tarantula. Whether that death is attributed to DKS or KillerTarantulaDeathSyndrome really doesnt matter to the hobbyist, the result is the same.

Out of interest, have you:
1. experienced the symptoms that others have described as DKS ie fast, erratic behaviour?
2. have you found any reference to DKS in any written articles, from credible people?
3. have you contacted the makers of Frontline?
4. have you experienced dehydration with tarantula?
It doesn't discard anything: It sim[ly says grouping a bunch of deaths together under one title "DKS" is not helping understand any of them individually.

To answer your questions -

1. Nope, I've either been lucky or do not contact whatever substance / prey item / anything that causes these sorts of symptoms

2. Nope. I don't consider anything written about DKS so far to be credible really, unless there is a paper on it that I have missed written by someone who looked at cellular / toxicity material / dietary deficiencies.

Anything else is just heresay / anecdotal evidence. For all we know it could be a chronic lack of a vitamin in the diet just as much as the action of a pesticide.

3. Why would I do that? I was content with the cautious notion that all pesticides will probably affect arachnids. I don't see the need to approach Vapona and other pesticide manufacturers to confirm this.

I don't say this sound arrogant - the idea that frontline was a cause was, iirc, already proposed before I entered the hobby. From my background, the hypothesis that they would not cause damage to arachnids is counter intuitive, so I would have assumed that was one of the first things suggested.

4. No. I know the symptoms but my tarantulas have not suffered dehydration. I have however seen it in true spiders.

In refrence to 2 + 4: Does a Doctor need to experience an illness to diagnose it? Does the researcher need to have the illness to understand its mode of action? :Na_Na_Na_Na:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.