Reptile Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
The way I see it is Dyskinetic Syndrome is a symptom and not a disease in itself - dyskinetic just means "disordered movement"

A person seen moving dyskinetically could have Parkinsons Disease, they could have had a stroke, they could have sprained an ankle, they could be drunk or maybe their shoes are rubbing their feet! All those have different causes and are of different degrees of severity, but all could appear similar to a casual glance :)

Seeing disordered movement in a tarantula is often a precursor to it dying. But is the "DKS" the actual cause of the spider's decline and demise, or is it a symptom of another underlying problem? Spiders sometimes die without showing any movement problems. I have never lost a spider to "DKS" but I've lost some others. I lost an adult P. subfusca just a week or so ago for no obvious reason. She's been kept in the same conditions for the last 3 years and thrived, including dropping a good sac 2 years ago. Conversely I used to have a B. boehmei who would "spazz" at any disturbance. She actually looked like she was having a seizure. If I'd posted a video on here there would have been cries of "oh it's DKS"! I used to keep her in a different room which isn't used very often to minimise her funny turns, but she didn't die. I gave her to somebody and she is still doing well.

Without controlled studies being done regarding the actions of various substances on a group of spiders - be it Frontline contamination, locusts, tap water or all the other possibles which seem to get passed around as fact in the hobby, it's just supposition.

IMO it's a bit of a no-brainer that a substance like Frontline which is sold to control fleas and also ticks (which are arachnids) isn't going to be beneficial to your Ts if they come into contact with it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.