Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I live in the United States and have a Common Kingsnake. He was obtained early in his life, when he was approx. no more than 8 inches in length.

This L. Getula I estimate is now 3 years old, and I am concerned with a problem that has developed recently. My King is consistently regurgitating/vomiting up water almost every time he goes to drink. He forces it out like a 'sneeze' that it causes his entire body to contract and sometimes it leaves droplets sprayed about. It always occurs right after he drinks, and does not occur again until his next visit to the water dish.

I will try and outline as much relevant info as I can.

He has a UTH and Lamp to maintain ~81 on the warm side, 72 on the cool. Night time temps are about 70 on the cool side and 76 on the warm, and has enough space to be able to effectively thermoregulate between these temps at all times. He has good hides on each side, with his water dish in between. I keep him at household humidity as instructed by a professional. I use Zoo-Med Aspen bedding and feed him Gourmet Rodent F/T.

He has been eating normally, and passing normally. His sheds are on time and in good shape.

I left my iphone on recording above the middle of the tank laying on the screen top, and discovered that the sound I hear him making is the ejection of water after he drinks, and sometimes 'sneezing' every so often.

On the outside he appears to be in perfect health, but this coughing/sneezing/retching up water after almost every drink has me very concerned about the possibility of internal bacteria or parasitic infection.

Best thing for me to do is get a fecal sample for analysis, but has anyone an idea of what this might signify? My Kingsnake will take a drink, sit for a moment, then eject a small amount of the water in a quick retch, but then just goes on about his business acting normally. This happens multiple times a day.

So far I've got no luck. I do have videos of it if anyone would like me to trim and upload them somewhere for quick viewing if they think they can help.

Thanks for reading,

JMM

·
Registered
33,496 Posts
Hi, I live in the United States and have a Common Kingsnake. He was obtained early in his life, when he was approx. no more than 8 inches in length.

This L. Getula I estimate is now 3 years old, and I am concerned with a problem that has developed recently. My King is consistently regurgitating/vomiting up water almost every time he goes to drink. He forces it out like a 'sneeze' that it causes his entire body to contract and sometimes it leaves droplets sprayed about. It always occurs right after he drinks, and does not occur again until his next visit to the water dish.

I will try and outline as much relevant info as I can.

He has a UTH and Lamp to maintain ~81 on the warm side, 72 on the cool. Night time temps are about 70 on the cool side and 76 on the warm, and has enough space to be able to effectively thermoregulate between these temps at all times. He has good hides on each side, with his water dish in between. I keep him at household humidity as instructed by a professional. I use Zoo-Med Aspen bedding and feed him Gourmet Rodent F/T.

He has been eating normally, and passing normally. His sheds are on time and in good shape.

I left my iphone on recording above the middle of the tank laying on the screen top, and discovered that the sound I hear him making is the ejection of water after he drinks, and sometimes 'sneezing' every so often.

On the outside he appears to be in perfect health, but this coughing/sneezing/retching up water after almost every drink has me very concerned about the possibility of internal bacteria or parasitic infection.

Best thing for me to do is get a fecal sample for analysis, but has anyone an idea of what this might signify? My Kingsnake will take a drink, sit for a moment, then eject a small amount of the water in a quick retch, but then just goes on about his business acting normally. This happens multiple times a day.

So far I've got no luck. I do have videos of it if anyone would like me to trim and upload them somewhere for quick viewing if they think they can help.

Thanks for reading,

JMM
Get him to a reptile vet, ASAP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts