Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please help, my long neck turtle is ill, he is about 8 monthes old, and has recently been off his food, sleeping pretty much all day, has white spots all over him, eyes are puffy, seems to feel itchy. tank is cleaned weekly thoroughly, please help.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
You say the tank is cleaned weekly, is the water filtered in the meantime?

If you have an adequate filter then you shouldn't need to clean the tank every week, do you treat the water or just use untreated tapwater?

It's hard to diagnose anything without a photo, but this sounds like it could be a skin infection or skin fungus, something like that which would be caused by poor water quality, that could also account for the puffy eyes, but then so could chlorine in untreated water.

Some more info and some good clear photos of the turt and it's setup would really help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey, yeh the water is filterred in the mean time, the reason as to why it is cleaned weekly is only because we thought it was bad water quality too so we changed it weekly.

i have tap water purifier that i add in once cleaned. i will get some pics up tho.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
i have tap water purifier that i add in once cleaned.
What product do you use, and do you put it in the water before putting the water in the tank or afterwards?

If you put tapwater in the tank before treating it the chlorine will kill all the beneficial bacteria in the filter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts