Reptile Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my baby is still not up to eating grass :( I tried to mix it with weeds but just avoided the grass and eats the weeds :devil: so should I try no feeding him for a couple of days? Or is that too risky? Any other ideas? Thanks oh and he is acting a bit lazy latley he is not comming out of his hide :( only when I take him out in the garden he starts running around. Is this a problem? He usualy does run around his enclosure. Thanks :2thumb:

·
Registered
105 Posts
My Hermann doesn't like grass or Nutrobol on his food.

·
Banned
483 Posts
Hermanns are not grass eaters. Leopard tortoises generally prefer to graze. If you are offering cut up grass then this could be why. It should have it's own grazing area no matter how small. If you put the bad food onto a lawn or similar it will eat it then and most likely continue to do so when you provide an outdoor setup.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Like Subo said try putting his food onto a grass area that way when he's eating his food he'll be taking the grass in as well : victory:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
hi leopard tortoises prefer to graze very short cut grass and just nibble at it so they actually eat it in tiny little pieces.myadults enclosure at times is very lush with various grasses and many favourite weeds in abundance ,yet they do tend to spend most of their time grazeing the path they have worn from their shed to the basking area because it is very short grasses.to get my hatchlings to eat grasses in their diet while indoors i have tried offering a tray of turf to which most of the time they are indifferent.the best way to get them to include grasses in their diet during the winter is to add finely chopped grasses to their weeds then i offer a seperate meal of chopped grasses just after their afternoon bath,when they get a little older and i find they do eventually take it quite readily.this is a video of a youngster of mine a few month's old who is eating just chopped grass indoors.just click on the pic.also added a couple of still pictures of the same tortoise at 11 month's showing the sort of growth and shape on this diet.
terry

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
:notworthy: beautiful little Leo Terry as always. He's certainly enjoying his grass :lol2: at the video!

Can I ask please how long does it take to get the little ones chomping on their grass - I know Leopard Tortoise posted about this a few weeks ago and people suggested she chopped up the grass and mixed it with the other weeds which from what I can gather she's tried but Leonardo has managed to pick his weeds out and leave the grass again, naughty boy!!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
:notworthy: beautiful little Leo Terry as always. He's certainly enjoying his grass :lol2: at the video!

Can I ask please how long does it take to get the little ones chomping on their grass - I know Leopard Tortoise posted about this a few weeks ago and people suggested she chopped up the grass and mixed it with the other weeds which from what I can gather she's tried but Leonardo has managed to pick his weeds out and leave the grass again, naughty boy!!
hi i feed them coarse weeds and a lot of plantain in the mix to start then gradually introduce a small percentage of finely chopped grasses until i am able to offer the grasses as a seperate meal.this can take a few month's and they dont all take to it as quickly.it is difficult when you have a few of them eating together.of course there is the advantage i get them from the day they are hatched so no bad habits to break.i would persevere and just chop all their food at first so its well mixed.under no circumstances would i try and starve them into submission ,if they stop eating it is very difficult to get them going again.apart from maybe feeding them a bit later so they are keen to eat anything, dont starve them ever.
terry

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hermanns are not grass eaters.
I thought this too, but whenever I have my Hermanns outside he munches on the grass as he wanders round.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
I thought this too, but whenever I have my Hermanns outside he munches on the grass as he wanders round.
Yep my spur thighs and Horsfield munch a bit too but with the Leo's it makes up a large part of their diet as opposed to ours when its just a smaller part - if that makes sense : victory:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok soo.. I just took him outside and i put all his favorite treats in the grass and he still didn't eat the grass but... when he was chewing on some dandelions i put a little piece of grass in his mouth and he ate it! :2thumb: were on a long road to recovery!

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
:lol2: am sure you'll get there in the end lovey. From what Terry said above I thought it was interesting that it took so long for some of them to be comfy eating the grass - I'd have thought it'd be a natural instinct but just goes to show dont it. Keep at it! : victory:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

She!!!!!! WHAT WHY AM I A SHE :lol2:

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I think the clue may have been the title "Future Reptile MAN" in his siggie :lol2:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:lol2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts