Reptile Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Come on people, we all know its a way of selling them on ebay without getting it removed. You cant sell pets on ebay but you can sell live food, I have sold dinosaur food on there before when i wanted to sell inverts.

·
Registered
17,332 Posts
It wont kill you thats the thing lol.

They are trying to get around the rules but at the same time being very irresponsible

Yup thats the impression i got too
Ohhhhh...my bad...flase Black Widow..im with you now..i thought they were selling the real thing..im a numpty ;-(

Reactions: selina20

·
Registered
350 Posts
its not that bad is it?
its only the same as someone selling the plastic fake maggots in the live bait section,
or pet land snails as 'feeder food'.....just bending the rules

i know i tonne of people who would be over the moon to order a toy pokie, and to recieve a real sub-adult female, i would: victory:

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
Geez, we've been here so many times, do we all have such short memories?
Oli answers it perfectly IMO, why make so much drama?

Look at the seller for the Pokie, anyone else recognise that name?

As for the False Black Widow, its certainly not like an ant bite, its recognised as the most painful bite of all UK spiders. My mrs was bitten by one nearly 2 years ago and still suffers from numbness. And before anyone slates the Poisonous statement the word poison is derived from the latin for venom.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
If somebody wants some falsies they are welcome to come clear out the load that I keep finding in my assassin tank. :devil:

Reactions: selina20

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I was actually looking for mantids so there is a problem lol. Plus the problem is how they are worded
The mantid thing, yeah haha. But the wording on the pokie is to get around the rules, sames as people put "live insects" on T's. I would hope he informs the winning bidder of exactly what it is to make sure, but I can't see anyone pay over fifty nicker for a rubber spider anyway : victory:

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
Did the usual scan of ebay for a bargain and found these 2 adverts *sigh*

False Black Widow Spider! The Uk's No1 Poisionous Spider! | eBay

And someones guna have a shock when they buy this "toy"

Indian ornamental toy spider | eBay
i don't think you can legally sell false widows that are uk wild caught
i *think* they're native

and the Poeci was just a clever way around the ebay rules. not on really

i don't know why people would do it, they'd sell much easier and for free on a forum

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
i don't think you can legally sell false widows that are uk wild caught
i *think* they're native
You can sell native species, so long as they are not listed as European / UK protected species.

Might not be ethical to do so however, but legally it is OK.

·
Registered
33,151 Posts
Geez, we've been here so many times, do we all have such short memories?
Oli answers it perfectly IMO, why make so much drama?

Look at the seller for the Pokie, anyone else recognise that name?

As for the False Black Widow, its certainly not like an ant bite, its recognised as the most painful bite of all UK spiders. My mrs was bitten by one nearly 2 years ago and still suffers from numbness. And before anyone slates the Poisonous statement the word poison is derived from the latin for venom.
even some of the best reptile & invert literature refers to venomous species as poisonous.

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
even some of the best reptile & invert literature refers to venomous species as poisonous.
really good book i read/have by william j. baerg (the tarantula) mentions poison. i reckon the distinction between poison and venom is a recent thing

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
She has a toy salmon pink as well. £45 for a sub adult... A little expensive imo. Nothing wrong with selling on eBay..

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
She has a toy salmon pink as well. £45 for a sub adult... A little expensive imo. Nothing wrong with selling on eBay..
subadult toy ?

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
Aye man, seems reasonable. It is advertised in an insect and spider section. Would have to be a pretty big tool to buy it as a real toy.
you could just imagine it in the papers!
i don't know why they don't just offer her as livefood
it makes more sense to me

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
has anyone even bothered report this or any other the other listings instead of whinging about it here
already done it, but seeing as there's no proof it's \ real spider, i can't see any closure

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
ah right,
i reported it anyway
Why have you reported it,? its not as tho its being miss treated, or any different to one being sold from this forum, the seller has done what loads of sellers do & worded the advert to suit her needs, any one reading the add can see that its not a toy,..

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.