Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well at some point last night my beardie's ceramic bulb broke, it no longer emits heat :( A new one is in the post, and for now the backup 100W spot lamp is doing a splendid job :2thumb:

However this morning when I looked in and realised it was broken, the temp in the cold end (where the thermometer is) was ~55F! He was lying where he fell asleep, awake but stone still. Thankfully a cuddle got him warmed up while his the spare lamp (and the sun!) warmed his viv back up.

My question is whether this could cause any lasting damage to him? Also how do they deal with these kind of temperatures in the wild?

Thanks,

nimro

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
that wont cause any problem to him permanantly, he will just be a bit cold but will be fine soon:) dont worry!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
what do you mean backup bulb???

what is your setup

CHE for night and bulb for day???

what about your heatmat?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what do you mean backup bulb???

what is your setup

CHE for night and bulb for day???

what about your heatmat?
I mean I have a spare bulb lying around in case this happens. It's what came with the setup, however I found it to be insufficient long-term in this fridge of a house in this freezer of a country!

The ceramic is on 24/7 however the thermostat is set to lower it at night, plus a UV tube on in the daytime. I have a small heatmat, it's on and attached to the side of the viv at the moment, however i've found it isn't necessary with the ceramic as the temps have been pretty stable.

Thanks for the help, guys! I needed to know he'd be alright!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
so you have a basking site with a reflector bulb??? ( spotlight )

mat is for substrate temps which is not a necessity but helps if you live in a fridge lol

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
im either getting mixed up here or your heat sources are all wrong???

:hmm:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
im either getting mixed up here or your heat sources are all wrong???

:hmm:
Actually I'm a little confuesed to. Do you also use the Cermic as a basking light also?
Sounds like our set up to me. CHE placed in the warm end to create a background temp. Basking bulb- also in the warm end to give a higher temp and a basking spot. When the basking bulb goes off at night, the CHE is still on to stop the temp dropping too much- But CHE is on a stat so it can be turned down.

I turn our CHE down to approx 65` at night, and I often find the stat has kicked in during the early morning- so it must be getting that cold (in the cool end where the sensor is)

In answer to the question- your beardie should be ok while you wait for a new CHE. He may go off his food a little (ours did when his background heat went when we first got him).

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
If the replacement CHE doesn't come today - maybe you could boost the heat/turn on the heat in the room where he is for overnight ambient temps.

Must be really cold in the Highlands - it's bad enough here in the Midlands.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
yeh must be well chilly up there. my beardies dont have any night time heat at all .
I am sure he will be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts