Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had some leo eggs in the incubator now for nearly a month now... been checking them every 5-6 days and they are growing nicely nicely inside, they firmed up quickly...

I candeled them last night and they are a nice rosey pink inside... altho this time... when i picked them up... they didnt feel very firm AT ALL... in fact when i held them they dented slightly because of my fingers...

i know the eggs collopase if they are de-hydrated... but thats deff not the case here as they were fine until i gentley picked them up.
i
s this normal??? are the eggs duds now??

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
whether or not it's normal depends on what temps you are incubating at as they will dimple if near hatching ~ also I really would not recommend picking the eggs up.. if you must candle them then you can do so holding the torch to them while they are in the incubator... you don't have to pick them up.
If the eggs that dented are still glowing pink I would leave them well alone and wait til they hatch

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
im incubating at 81F for females they have been in there a couple of days less than a month...
only about halfway through incubation then ~ have you checked the humidity/moistness of the medium incase they're a bit too dry?
If everything else is okay and they still glow pink/show veins etc it may be that the shell is too thin.... how are you supplementing the female and how much pre-season conditioning did she have?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes 99% relative humidity... i mix 6 parts virmiculite with 4 parts water by weight.

the eggs were nice and firm to begin with, like her 2nd clutch which are in there and doing fine... the shell seems to be very thin... she was fed gut loaded crickets and locusts covered with either nutrobal or limestone flour (pure calcium)

she had no pre season conditioning as I have read 100s of places that it isn’t necessary, that the natural drop in daylight/temperature would be enough.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
she had no pre season conditioning as I have read 100s of places that it isn’t necessary, that the natural drop in daylight/temperature would be enough.
sorry I should have been a bit clearer ~ I'm not on about using brumation as a conditioner (something I don't do with any of mine) ~ I mean the feeding and supplementation to bring/keep/maintain a female in condition

·
Banned
369 Posts
Some eggs will dent, I have seen this many times and occured no probems what so ever have hatched into 100% healthy little babies :D

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Some eggs will dent, I have seen this many times and occured no probems what so ever have hatched into 100% healthy little babies :D
it's not just that the eggs have dented it's also the problem that they are thin-shelled which might point to other things/problems

1 - 8 of 8 Posts