Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and sorry for so many questions!

But now that its pretty much been established that Gussie is a girl, could the reason why she is going bonkers be that she is looking for somewhere to lay her eggs?

She only started going nuts about six weeks ago, since then she's been really flapping about and trying to get out the tank.. when she gets out she easily spends 2 hours marching the house. We dont like her out, as know its stressful, but she just gets out again so then we have to cover the top which I hate oing because she goes crazy. Then she sleeps for days and doesnt do anything, theres no in between! Also went through a stage of basking a lot. She is pretty heavy and we have thought she looks bigger

Can all this naughtiness suggest she wants ti lay some little eggs?:peace:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
it is quite possible
This is the time for terrapins to lay, and crazy escape behaviour is typical of egg laying behaviour. Given a sunny day, offer her a spot in the garden (fresh dug earth in a sunny spot, near a plant or wall). If she is keen, she will poke the ground with her nose repeatedly, smelling and testing the temperature.

Failing that, an indoor damp sand tray with a spot bulb overhead might work, depending how shy she is. (the sand needs to be 6-9 inches deep)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wide and high...
Not good. We must have had a pebble under the last tank as it exploded on us, water everywhere... i think Gus is the unluckiest turtle, her basking lamp blew up, two filters in three months, tank exploded, cuts her foot, heater blew up...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so are you thinking the lack of space is more likley as opposed to laying eggs?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so is it ok to let her walk around the garden out the water? I was told not too, but I do think she would enjoy it. She is very confident around people and marches about at will...stopping to look at you cock eyed and lop sided. Very cute.

·
Super Moderator
16,546 Posts
Best not to - water is their safety. Athough it looks like she is active she may well feel threatened (despite her size!) and be trying to find somewhere to hide.

Can you set her up with a large plastic tub in the garden with a basking area? We have an outdoor preformed pond sunk in the lawn for the larger turtles. The next size down go into a free standing pond and the juveniles into plastic tubs with wire tops over. Usually from May onwards once the water temperature is warm enough.

You've certainly had lots of questions today - but we'll get there! Good job you came onto this Forum :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Well being in a 1 foot wide and 1 foot high tank obviously she's not going to want to be in that.How much water is in it? She is probably searching for a decent pond or like has been said looking to lay eggs or both.How long has she been in that tank ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The water is filled halfway. Its not good I agree. We tried filling the whole tank and building a bit on top to bask but she couldnt figure out how to get up. We are looking now at the laguna large. She's been in that for about a month, bad I know, but we had a second hand tank lined up for us at tropical aquatics in great portland street, but then it fell through so we went back to square one. Now thinking a pond fir summer defo.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
You have to get her out of that 1 foot wide tank that's awful.Not when summer comes,she needs out now.Sorry but it cannot wait.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts