Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're losing the will to live with our filter so I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on what our problem might be..

Basically we have an Eheim 2213 which just doesn't seem to flow very fast. It certainly doesn't make an impact on the water, it's more like a trickle coming out. We have the taps wide open, there are no kinks in the hose and the outlet and inlet are at opposite ends of the tank. We're currently having to do weekly water changes as the tank becomes smelly after 3-4 days, which isn't practical.

Have we got a dodgy filter? The OH is on about getting a 2215, but I'm sure we've got a defective filter, as there is no way this one is pumping 400+ litres an hour like it suggests it should..

Anyone any ideas? We've only had it since Feb, so I'm going to contact Amazon too to see if they will change it, or refund us.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Have you checked that the curved plastic tube at the bottom that connects to the hosing is not partially blocked.. Otherwise, is the impeller free from dirt, plant material and hair etc.. Does the impeller turn properly when turning the unit on when not assembled.?

Posted from Reptileforums.co.uk App for Android

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Have you carried out the following?

Switch off inlet & outlet tap
Disconnect the 2 hoses
Take the whole canister filter out to the kitchen sink
Remove the top unit from the green base
Flip it upside down
Hold in the release lugs on the sides and lift out the removeable grey molded plastic protection cover.
Once you can see the impeller you are there
Remove the impeller, clean it
Remove the float ball (beside the impeller), clean it too
Clean plastic cover and put back on
Re-assemble the canister & plug it back in

You are 100% looking at a dirt blockage somewhere. Another point to consider is that the canister itself must be situated "below" the floor level of the aquarium itself. In other words you cannot have the canister sitting along side your aquarium on the same table for example. It must be below the floor level of your aquarium to operate at pressure & correctly.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
perhaps you could put a photo of how it is set up - we may be able to help.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Have you carried out the following?

Switch off inlet & outlet tap
Disconnect the 2 hoses
Take the whole canister filter out to the kitchen sink
Remove the top unit from the green base
Flip it upside down
Hold in the release lugs on the sides and lift out the removeable grey molded plastic protection cover.
Once you can see the impeller you are there
Remove the impeller, clean it
Remove the float ball (beside the impeller), clean it too
Clean plastic cover and put back on
Re-assemble the canister & plug it back in

You are 100% looking at a dirt blockage somewhere. Another point to consider is that the canister itself must be situated "below" the floor level of the aquarium itself. In other words you cannot have the canister sitting along side your aquarium on the same table for example. It must be below the floor level of your aquarium to operate at pressure & correctly.

Cheers
Best way to check is the above comment:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stupid busy day at work - only just had chance to log on!!

Thank you for all the suggestions so far, I've run them past my other half and he doesn't recall seeing a float ball - is it obvious?

He's suffering with a tummy bug at the moment (we're hoping its not due to the turtle!!) and will have a look when he's feeling a bit better..

I will be back to update on how we got on!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Stupid busy day at work - only just had chance to log on!!

Thank you for all the suggestions so far, I've run them past my other half and he doesn't recall seeing a float ball - is it obvious?

He's suffering with a tummy bug at the moment (we're hoping its not due to the turtle!!) and will have a look when he's feeling a bit better..

I will be back to update on how we got on!
There should be a removable red piece of plastic, the float ball is secured under that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's why I was surprised to hear about it .. he's had the impeller out and cleaned it, but has never seen anything resembling a float ball!

Other half has taken it apart (as far as he can without taking it apart literally) and it seems to be working the same, so we're giving up. I've ordered the 2215 which should be here early next week! I don't think he can face doing another water change in less than a week :(

I think he's going to continue having a fiddle with it once the new one is fitted to see if he can actually track down the issue.

Thanks for the guidance as always - what would we do without the knowledge that's on here!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.