Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a stupid question but it's really bugging me lol. Are corn snakes elaphe guttatus or pantherophis guttatus? I know there is (or has been) some debate over it so which is?

Secondly why is it elaphe/pantherophis? What's the difference between the two? Thanks.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Sorry if this is a stupid question but it's really bugging me lol. Are corn snakes elaphe guttatus or pantherophis guttatus? I know there is (or has been) some debate over it so which is?

Secondly why is it elaphe/pantherophis? What's the difference between the two? Thanks.
I believe that elaphe was the old classification and its now pantherophis is the newer more "accurate" classification. Alot of people seem to still use elaphe

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I believe that elaphe was the old classification and its now pantherophis is the newer more "accurate" classification. Alot of people seem to still use elaphe

This.

·
Registered
33,578 Posts

most of the US elaphe have been reclassified as pantherophis- many asian species have been reclassified to other genera too, leaving elaphe as mainly european species. as for what the difference is, who knows?

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Boy that's been changed some years now! All animals get put into groups and then some scientist goes back through and says no that's not the same or this is totally different and move things around again. That's always going to happen and you never know someone else moved them round again! I recently went looking for some info on frogs species only to find they have also been changed.

·
Registered
479 Posts
most of the US elaphe have been reclassified as pantherophis- many asian species have been reclassified to other genera too, leaving elaphe as mainly european species. as for what the difference is, who knows?
They are supposedly using new advanced DNA testing methods. These seem to show that some of the snakes in Elaphe had significant enough differences to have the entire group split up.

As far as I'm concerned the evidence is on shaky ground and unless the IHF officially relists it im sticking with Elaphe...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.