Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have nearly finished my shed insulating it, boarding it out and putting proper electrics into it now I just need to go from the main trip switch box to the shed consumer box but no idea what size wire to use. I have used 2.5mm twin and earth for the sockets and lights, what size should I use for the main power cable? I have been given 40m of 2.5 swa cable but i can use normal twin and earth so dont need it but was woundering if 2.5mm was to small? Please help

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
To give a complete answer you'd need to tell us the distance from house to shed, but a minimum of 4mm. Armoured cable is essential if you're burying it, if you're running it above ground (i.e. if you're hanging it from poles across the garden) then it doesn't need to be armored but will need supporting with high tensile wire which you can cable clip it to.

Hope this helps

Dave

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Distance from the house trip switch box to the shed consumer unit is about 40m's. The cable will be laid in conduit along the top of a fence.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry it's 4mm twin swa cable I have.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
6mm Off the top of head best cable 2.5 is too small,

However it depends what you are powering, you need to calculate the load and distance

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's about 40mtrs from the main trip switch box, there is 9 double sockets in there, there is gonna be 5 x 8ft vivs all with lights and heating, 3 x 4ft vivs all with lights and heating, 3 x 4ft strip lights and an oil filled radiator.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
It's about 40mtrs from the main trip switch box, there is 9 double sockets in there, there is gonna be 5 x 8ft vivs all with lights and heating, 3 x 4ft vivs all with lights and heating, 3 x 4ft strip lights and an oil filled radiator.
Without the correct wattage I cannot tell you but I would use 10 mm swa To be on the safe side, however you may be over doing it and could get away with 6mm.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I will do some rough calculations tomorrow and let you know what's best : victory:

And i didnt think i would be Working tomorrow :lol2:

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
though it is not the same so on. I used 6mm armoured cable, from my outbuilding fuse box to house main fusebox. that was what my OH dad (who is a leccy man) said would work fine. I would go 6mm or more. your prob have similer watts stuff in there as mind (i guess). though i would put it into the ground if at all possible, if the fence gets damaged eg high winds you could end up with some real problems.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did u use an earth rod? I have 4mm swa cable but trying to find some 6mm or bigger

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi, with the sort of set up you're suggesting now, i.e few vivs, heater, lights, etc, i'd go for 10mm. 6mm would probably suffice, but in the future you may wish to expand or have more running off the shed consumer unit, so you'd be better off biting the bullet now and putting 10mm in.

Dave

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I agree with above that will be more the enought for you plans now but look to the future you don't want to do a job twice . No need for an earth rid come off a earth terminal in your current dis board simples, and bury the swa

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I'd personally supply your shed off a type b 32amp rcbo in your house consumer unit. From here to the shed use 10mm 3core swa cable. Bury this about 18 inches. You may get away with 6 mm but because it's 40meters away and with what you may be running, the volt drop may be significant, thus use 10mm cable to be safe and sure. Then go into your shed consumer unit. Ensure the armour of the cable is earthed from the house fuse board and also the earth cable in the swa is connected to the main earth too.then connect both of these at the other end to your earth rail in the shed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts