1,219 Posts
Scaleless?! How did that happen?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,628 Posts
Scaleless?! How did that happen?

People deciding they are better at evolution than Nature and selectively breeding traits that would otherwise kill snakes, for their personal pleasure . . . . I think that's how it works

If that comment doesn't make it clear enough I'll be a little clearer - I have a deep ethical issue with these snakes and I'm very sad that our hobby has taken this direction.:censor::devil::bash:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
People deciding they are better at evolution than Nature and selectively breeding traits that would otherwise kill snakes, for their personal pleasure . . . . I think that's how it works

If that comment doesn't make it clear enough I'll be a little clearer - I have a deep ethical issue with these snakes and I'm very sad that our hobby has taken this direction.:censor::bash:
Thanks for clearing that up, absolutely disgusting. Colour morphs are ok in most cases but actually changing the shape of an animal is just wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not so much that they changed their shape, it's just the morph that people have changed. It's no different then creating Aneries, Amels, Normals, etc etc They have cross bred and came up with the scaleless corn snake, pretty much every species of snake has a scaleless in there somewhere.

Yes it's true these snakes would never survive in the wild as they can not be fed live prey (no scales for protection) but they make lovely pets and are gorgeous to look at : victory:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The shape has changed though, a normal snake has scales and this doesn't.

Would it be ethical to breed a hairless dog? Maybe a clawless cat? Of course not. I don't see why it is any different with snakes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shape has changed though, a normal snake has scales and this doesn't.

Would it be ethical to breed a hairless dog? Maybe a clawless cat? Of course not. I don't see why it is any different with snakes.

Having no scales is not a shape change, it's a morph change. The shape of the snake is still the same. There are hairless dogs out there by the way lol

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Having no scales is not a shape change, it's a morph change. The shape of the snake is still the same. There are hairless dogs out there by the way lol
Yes, but the shape does change. Scales are not perfectly placed obviously, there are slight gaps between them. The scales have a slight keel. Without scales the above features are not present, changing the shape.

I didn't know that, I hoped people were at least decent enough to avoid creating deformed dogs too. Being cruel to snakes is somewhat less surprising with them being widely disliked but I didn't expect this with dogs. Both are just as terrible as the other.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
+ hairless cats :no1:

agreed, its a genetic mutation

Which is exploited by breeders to create many more snakes missing scales instead of them being a natural rarity. How lovely!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess we all just have different opinions on things lol Anyway just wanted to show you what a scaleless corn's shed looks like and how much my beautiful baby is growing. I couldn't be happier with her and I hope to share many more pictures and memories with all of you in the days to come :2thumb:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Which is exploited by breeders to create many more snakes missing scales instead of them being a natural rarity. How lovely!

Whilst i don't disagree with the principle of what your saying the case of hairless dogs can't be compared this

in the wild i don't doubt scaleless snakes would be at a disadvantage but in captivity this doesn't pose as a problem with correct husbandry - the ethics of captive breeding could be debated again and again, spider royals and jaguar carpet pythons are just two examples of many that are "exploited by breeders"

there are records of the Mexican Hairless dogs dating back 3500 years - the climate they live in being arid and hot having no hair gives these animals a great advantage - the Aztecs also loved to eat them.

I still can't grasp the shape thing though

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I had assumed hairless dogs were a man made breed, if they are a natural species or whatever fair enough but I don't see why they were mentioned if this is the case.

Snakes use scales in a variety of ways of course, and even though scaleless snakes may survive in captivity (being robbed of these uses) snakes are supposed to have scales and have evolved this way. There is no reason to change this, only for selfish reasons including appearance and profit.

A scaleless snake has no scales. A normal snake has scales. Unless scales are shapeless the snakes shape has therefore changed.

I still don't understand how anybody would defend the breeding and keeping of deformed animals.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it all comes down to personal preference in if we keep/breed them or not. In the end how I think of it is the change has not hurt the snake in any way, the life span is the same, the health is the same, they shed the same and eat the same.

As long as it hasn't hurt them then what's the big deal, it's the same as cross breeding dog and cat breeds to make a new one. Now if breeding them this way shortened their life span or gave them other health issues then no I wouldn't condone it in the least

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
It does if the animals are of secondary importance to you. It is NOT our personal decision to change animals.

How do you know it has not hurt the snake? I agree the snake wouldn't be in pain but trying to claim the snake is indifferent to having scales or not is strange, because you have no idea if it is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok apparently we are getting no where in this convo so I'm not going to be replying anymore.

I didn't post this to start an argument or debate, I posted it because I'm proud of my girl and what she has accomplished since I got her. I love her dearly no matter if she's scaleless or not and I will post about her in the future but I'm not getting into a debate of if scaleless snakes are "good" or "bad". Thank you all for looking and replying but unless you have something good to say about my baby please don't say anything at all : victory:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts