Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've got a young, 4.5 foot boa constrictor. I am currently heating the tank with a heatmat and 150w infra red bowlb.
I wondered if there is any other kind of heating to increase the background temperatur, which does not use as much electricity. Does anyone have an idea or do u know if one or two solar panells would produce enough energy to heat the tank?
Silvia

·
Registered
754 Posts
Reptileone make a range of fan heaters for vivs,you might want to look into these.They are only small,the largest being 50W but multiple use maybe an option.I am looking at playing with a couple myself.Though I have to say I can get them trade price from a friend.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I would ditch the heatmat and bulb and use just a ceramic.
So would I, I have 100W ceramics heating the hot end of 4 x 2 vivs to about 85 - 90 degrees. This is all mine need.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
cheers, I'm gonna give it a go. But I read that the cheramic bulb should be at least 40 cm away from the snake. there's a branch in the tank and when she's climbing on it the bulb would only be about 20 cm away from her. Would that be dangerous? Do I need to use it together with a thermostat?

·
Premium Member
12,018 Posts
cheers, I'm gonna give it a go. But I read that the cheramic bulb should be at least 40 cm away from the snake. there's a branch in the tank and when she's climbing on it the bulb would only be about 20 cm away from her. Would that be dangerous? Do I need to use it together with a thermostat?
All ceramics are incredibly dangerous if they are unguarded and unstatted.

You only need the ceramic for heat but it is ESSENTIAL that is is fully gaurded and that it is on a thermostat. The wattage is the maximum output, so once it's reached temp, the stat will keep a trickle of electricity going in and is just enough to maintain the temps. A ceramic with a stat will be many many times cheaper than a mat, light bulb and ceramic (although I'm nervous about the fact that the ceramic might not have been on a stat.....)

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ah, ok. It makes sense when it´s not on permanently. Should I still use the UV-light bulb which I have swiched on in the daytime when I swich to a ceramic? I´ve currently got the infrared bulb in a reflector on top of the tank as the top is a steel grid. Do I need an additional lamp guard and what kind of lamp guard would that be?

·
Registered
717 Posts
snakes dont need uv tbh. just get a ceramic bulb, a guard and pulse thermostat and it will be perfect. i use 150W in my 4x2x2 because on winter nights my house drops to same temperature as outside

·
Premium Member
12,018 Posts
I assume by 'infrared bulb' you actually mean a red light bulb?

All heat emitting objects produce 'infra-red' (AKA 'heat energy')!

Ceramics produce infrared heat but NO visible light. You do not need a UV light for your snake, but it may appreciate the rays and a low heat emitting strip light will help you see your animal and provide a good day/night cycle.

What do you mean by 'Steel Grid'? is it in a fish tank with a mesh top?

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
13,987 Posts
Hi,
I've got a young, 4.5 foot boa constrictor. I am currently heating the tank with a heatmat and 150w infra red bowlb.
I wondered if there is any other kind of heating to increase the background temperatur, which does not use as much electricity. Does anyone have an idea or do u know if one or two solar panells would produce enough energy to heat the tank?
Silvia
use a ceramic with guard and low wattage light
and worry more about your snake than your wallet

ian

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I assume by 'infrared bulb' you actually mean a red light bulb?

All heat emitting objects produce 'infra-red' (AKA 'heat energy')!

Ceramics produce infrared heat but NO visible light. You do not need a UV light for your snake, but it may appreciate the rays and a low heat emitting strip light will help you see your animal and provide a good day/night cycle.

What do you mean by 'Steel Grid'? is it in a fish tank with a mesh top?

Cheers

Andy
Yes, I intend on keeping the UV light. It's not a fish tank but it's got a mesh top. Can I just put the ceramic bulb on top of it or do I need some kind of extra heat guard so that she can't burn herself on the mesh top if it gets hot?

cheers Silvia

·
Premium Member
12,018 Posts
Is is a glass tank with a mesh top? Solid sides? doors in the front?

Pic would help - advice is easier when we know exactly what we're dealing with!
Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
Is is a glass tank with a mesh top? Solid sides? doors in the front?

Pic would help - advice is easier when we know exactly what we're dealing with!
I agree a pic would help, you are going to struggle to maintain any background temp which is much above the room temp with a solid mesh top, regardless of heating method. : victory:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.