Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my only pets being rats, i have to try and keep them busy by providing various things with them to play with and to get them thinking.
Whilst at my boyfriends (who has a bearded dragon) it got me thinking about if they need enrichment.
I know that mammals have a much larger brain in comprasion to body size than reptiles do so reptiles may not have the need to be enriched as they may not get bored.

But I am curious if there is a need to and if so how could you go about doing so?

Thanks
Charlotte

·
Banned
11,446 Posts
Mammals and reptiles are completely different and the latter having no concept of being bored or under stimulated.

With monitors and iguanas I could think of different ways to make them work for their food but beardies? I haven't a clue.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that they are very different and that their brains are also a lot different. I didn't know that they had no concept of being bored, always useful to know. Thanks for that.
For more arboreal species, like Crested Gecko's oculd you add more things to climb and explore?

Thanks for your quick reply

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
I try and provide enrichment for all of my lizards in the from of climbing appratus, objects, branches, plants etc, along with allowing them a chance to chase food. I try and move things round a lot and change things so that they constantly have something to explore.

Hope that helps a little

jay

·
Registered
567 Posts
Call it "boredom" or just the prolonged lack of stimuli, but most reptiles I've owned have had a more than passing interest in their surroundings. One of my adult male beardies watches the computer monitor constantly, tracking around the screen as things move.
You're not going to be giving them a ball with a bell in it or a squeky mouse, but I do feel that having something other than a stagnant environment (terrain, smells, sounds, etc) is important. You'll know soon enough if it's freaking them out.

·
2,141 Posts
Enrichment could be anything that would be of benefit in mental or physical stimulation.

It doesn't necessarily need to be teaching or a lesson (as in dogs for example), though it can be, and something as simple. For example, teaching a bearded dragon to recognise standing water. Offering a new variety of live items, often gets a bearded dragons alertness soaring (so its a mental simulation).

It could be a roam around the home, or allowing them to hunt in a great area (other than a 4x2x2 box), one of my males, seems to 'enjoy' being fed in a larger area, he is much more alert and willing to hunt if he has a longer perspective of the live item (doesn't work for veg .. )

Enrichment could be taking them outside for some 210UV/CM (top end in UK) light exposure.

Plus many more activities.

Kris

·
Registered
775 Posts
My beardie comes out to run around the house and is chuffed to bits if he finds a mountain to climb (kids coats in heap on floor) and piles of shoes are a big favorite, the stairs are fun too apparently.:2thumb:
He also loves pottering out of the patio doors for a touch of fresh air and is in heaven if there is a puddle to belly flop in.:lol2:

·
Registered
169 Posts
jake like to run around the house after a warm bath, probably to run back to his viv so he can go toilet. lol

he goes batty when i drop a locust in his viv, but when i give him crickets it's as if they're convict prison slop... lmao

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.