Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! Bit of an odd question.

So, I have an adult BTS I'm desperate to entertain. Although I take her out when I come home, I'm worried that she doesn't get a whole lot of enrichment while I'm at work.
As such, I'm always looking for new ways to make her life a little more interesting.

Today, she spent a good ten minutes chasing a chunk of raspberry around her water bowl after accidentally knocking it in. She's never really got her head around live food (even when I've chilled it to slow it down for her she'll totally ignore it. For weeks. I tried her with a cricket once and it lived long enough to go through 2 molts before, apparently, dying of ennui.), so it was great to see her actively pursue something.
Obviously, I can't leave anything in her water while I'm out, for fear of it spoiling, but does anyone have any other suggestions for things to catch her interest?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi there! Bit of an odd question.

So, I have an adult BTS I'm desperate to entertain. Although I take her out when I come home, I'm worried that she doesn't get a whole lot of enrichment while I'm at work.
As such, I'm always looking for new ways to make her life a little more interesting.

Today, she spent a good ten minutes chasing a chunk of raspberry around her water bowl after accidentally knocking it in. She's never really got her head around live food (even when I've chilled it to slow it down for her she'll totally ignore it. For weeks. I tried her with a cricket once and it lived long enough to go through 2 molts before, apparently, dying of ennui.), so it was great to see her actively pursue something.
Obviously, I can't leave anything in her water while I'm out, for fear of it spoiling, but does anyone have any other suggestions for things to catch her interest?
Something I've found entertains my monitors is if you buy a big Kong dog toy or a treat ball big enough so your animal cannot bite and swallow then this helps alot by putting your animal favourite food inside during the day it engages then to push it around and shake it about they'll learn quickly.

Sort of a way of encouraging foraging behaviours

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
A big way of doing this is to give an overal environment that they can get a good amount of movement and even terrestial species will climb to a degree. Low gradients and chunky things like a good section of tree truck/branch and rocks. A variety of hiding places, cork bark, cave bit and for many species a good thick layer of substrate so they can dig.

Insects to hunt can play a big part of that, and that decor/environment will mean they too can hide, i dont know what you would feed as a insect list for bts, but if s/he hunted it after it had grown more, then perhaps the size of live food is playing a role. Do later stage crickets or larger insects like dubia or locust help improve that? What kind of plantlife might you be able to add? I dont know what your setup is like but thats where i would start, and if than setup was already quite interactive like that, then maybe reshuffle a part of it so theres some minor changes see if theres an arrangement that maybe allows different routes around in one chunk of the viv.

·
Registered
370 Posts
A big way of doing this is to give an overal environment that they can get a good amount of movement and even terrestial species will climb to a degree. Low gradients and chunky things like a good section of tree truck/branch and rocks. A variety of hiding places, cork bark, cave bit and for many species a good thick layer of substrate so they can dig.

Insects to hunt can play a big part of that, and that decor/environment will mean they too can hide, i dont know what you would feed as a insect list for bts, but if s/he hunted it after it had grown more, then perhaps the size of live food is playing a role. Do later stage crickets or larger insects like dubia or locust help improve that? What kind of plantlife might you be able to add? I dont know what your setup is like but thats where i would start, and if than setup was already quite interactive like that, then maybe reshuffle a part of it so theres some minor changes see if theres an arrangement that maybe allows different routes around in one chunk of the viv.
I would have suggested this but I was going on the assumption the enclosure was we'll set up already

And I for a bts you wanna be going for the larger insect feeders snails lobworms dubia roaches hissing roaches adult locust etc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts