Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to feed Monty and he wasn't in his RUB :'( He was definitely in there last night and the lid was on tight, now this morning he's nowhere to be seen and the lid was a little looser than it was but still on. Ive looked all around the viv, under the cupboard, behind the rats cage, behind the radiator, under my bed and im currently removing any clothes from my wardrobe, checking them and piling them on the bed as my mum checks any bags etc in here and theres no sign of him yet. I know he can't get out of the room because its a student house and we have fire doors so theyre sealed tight. Does anyone have any suggestions im really worried about him I dont know what Id do if anything happened to him :'(

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Well if it can't have gotten out of the room, then you don't have much to worry about. Check by other vivs... even in other vivs. Check inside everything that opens, under anything with a gap underneath, in dark corners.. even look higher up if there's any way he could have climbed up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
ummm im no expert, only got one snake, and for the few days hes been with me he hasnt escaped yet, but from wat ive heard:
-look under shelves, etc
-near heat emitting objects like computer, fridge, tv, dvd player
-gently take of covers from bed and cushions of chairs and check there
-check your wardrobe, especially in shoes, hooded sweaters that are not on hangers etc
-under desk, where cables are
-under bed
-schoolbags, bags, etc
-if hes small enough make a trap like described at top of snake section

Seeing it hasnt been so long since the escape, he could still be in proximity to your room, so I'd check in the room first, just to make sure. Place his viv on floor and leave open, or make a hide box with heat map and put mouse in there. Another tactic if youve got wood floors is to put flour/sand everywhere so you can track his movements. If you have a dog cat, maybe they can help. but i wouldn't let them loose round the house while ur snake is missing.

Hope this helps at all! And best of luck m8!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just a thought - hes not under the substrate is he?!

·
Registered
54 Posts
yeh could be under substrate, i :censor: meself once coz i fort my snake had goten out but she was hideing under the substrate under the hide :devil: evil snakeee

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he's on newspaper atm because he had mites a while back and was still makin absolutely sure he didnt have any. ive looked in his hide, under his bowl, under the substrate and nothing :( ive been through everything now and i cant see him anywhere :'(

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We found him a few hours ago but he's in the hole behind the radiator and I can't get to him :'( luckily its an external wall so he can't go any further than the hole but I can't get him out and he's all dusty:'( I just want my monty back does anyone have any ideas? Im not going to sleep until I can get him out of there

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
entice him out with food ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
If he's due to be fed, offer a mouse. Sounds stupid but get like a ruler or something and give him a few gentle nudges if you can reach him with that, might make him move out. Orrrr try and take the radiator off if you're really stuck? Good luck though, hopefully he comes out soon. He's probably very frightened too so the sooner you get him the better :)

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive tried it, hes a bugger to get eating at the best of times. I cant even see him anymore but when he was out I would try to tempt him with the mouse but he would run away and I couldnt see him again :(

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
all ya can do is try the trap tenchinque and also sit very quiet and maybe laydown a plastic bag outside the hole sit there in darkness untill u hear tha bag rustling from him coming out then slowly approach

·
Registered
163 Posts
Got a torch with a little red l.e.d bulb or anything? They can't see red light but you might be able to see him, might help. Hmm or if worst comes to worst and he wont come out while your there, shove some fly paper down on the floor. I take it he's like pretty small? Cause if he sticks to it you can easily get him off it with lukewarm water, just cover any escape routes from the hole

·
Registered
163 Posts
The flypaper works btw, I caught my hognose with it when my stupid little brother didnt shut the tank properly after he'd been showing off to his mates with it while I was out -.-' I put it across the doorframe in the room and when he went to get out I caught him on it and he came off pretty easily and wasnt harmed.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He's about 2 and half foot, when he was out earlier it looked as though he was trying to get out from behind there but couldnt, then he got scared if we tried to help him.

My tongs dont reach, coat hangers dont reach as we only have the plastic ones so cant make a decent hook out of it.

Have made the hole a bit bigger but this causes bits of rock to fall off and dont want to risk hurting him at all. Im sat here with the lights off and am going back to check him every 10/15 mins but cant see him at all-he just wont come out the hole :(

When my parents were here helping earlier I wanted to take the radiator off but dad wouldn't and I dont want to risk doing it myself as I dont know how really and would probably do something disastrous and flood the house with water.

The landlord was meant to have fixed that wall over 2 years ago now-Im half tempted to save the rocks that fall off it and knock him over the head with them :bash:

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Are you serious? If the tape was sticky enough to trap your snake on it until you got there, then it was very possible to damage it, you were just lucky it didn't.

Spider_duck - the best thing you can do is wait it out. If the hole doesn't lead to anywhere, and it can't escape from your room, then it's not going to get far. Keep the lights off, and flatten a plastic bag out in front of the hole with a brained mouse on it. If he comes out for either the mouse, or just to get out of the hole, then you'll hear it.

He can't stay in there forever so try not to worry too much : victory:

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone-I try not to panic but when it comes to my animals all rationality goes out of the window, if hes still in there tommorow then I dont care if I flood the house that radiator is coming off!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Thanks everyone-I try not to panic but when it comes to my animals all rationality goes out of the window, if hes still in there tommorow then I dont care if I flood the house that radiator is coming off!
my iggy went behine the radiator once we took it of and after taht ihad to get new carpet lmao

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Just try not to scare it with any big noises, banging away at a radiator on the wall that he's in will only make it move further back if it's possible and i'm sure that's the last thing you want.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts