Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I know this is probably a really wierd request and you are all going to think I'm either totally mental or some dodgy psycho :oops: (or both! :lol:)

Heres the deal. I am keen to get a snake in the very near future, but was wondering if there are any snake owners near me, who would be kind enough to edumacate me and maybe 'share' their pets with me so I can get a proper feel for snake owning.

I'm 99% sure a snake is right for me but I've only ever owned the cute, fuzzy n warm blooded kind of pets before. I dont want to become one of those people who buy a pet, then realise its not for them and have to rehome it.

I promise I'm all terribly 'normal'!!

So, if anyone in the Brentwood area fancies taking me under their wing/scales/whatever. Could you give me a shout?

Think of it as an apprenticeship in snake ownership! :wink:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
This sounds like a great idea, I cant help as I am neither in essex nor do I own a corn snake... but I think its admirable that you want to take the time to be certain its the right pet for you.
Hopefully someone else can help you out

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I also think its a great idea but remember no two corns are the same.I have hatchlings that are calm and quite but my blizzards are a nightmare there no handling so far have tamed them.A yearling that has been handled a lot might be a better first experience.I would also love to help but I'm in N.Ireland.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the posts so far. I wasnt sure about posting as reading it back to myself, it does sound kinda 'dodgy' what with all these wierdos you find on the net!

I just think this is the way forward for me. to see the good and the not so good side of ownership.

Am not sure how it would help anyones decision of potentially opening up their home to me, but a bit of background...

I'm a trained nurse, married mum of 3. Have owned dogs, rats, hamsters, gerbils, rabbits... erm... as I said.. all cute, warm blooded n fluffy so far!!

I can drive, and am prepared to travel a small way. (longer distances more difficult to work the time around family and work commitments)

I'm not set in stone with cornsnakes, maybe someone could convert me to another breed of snake?! :wink:

Erm.. what else is there?

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
From what i've seen and heard, Corns are the most tempermental and best snake to have for a person new to snakes. Thats why i got two. Lol. But t hey're not willing to come out just yet. Only got them on Sat.

G

·
Where in Essex are you Fluffy as i have no problem with passing on experience and i could be selling my collection of corns after the breeding season next year.I am Clacton and would be willing to have you visit firstly to get to know you and pass on exp then possibly loan you spare males so that you could get to know your own experience with snakes.The obviously you would get the offer of owning any i am going to sell.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
SCI said:
I also think its a great idea but remember no two corns are the same.I have hatchlings that are calm and quite but my blizzards are a nightmare there no handling so far have tamed them.A yearling that has been handled a lot might be a better first experience.I would also love to help but I'm in N.Ireland.
my blizzard is still a complete loon aswell.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Greenphase said:
Where in Essex are you Fluffy as i have no problem with passing on experience and i could be selling my collection of corns after the breeding season next year.I am Clacton and would be willing to have you visit firstly to get to know you and pass on exp then possibly loan you spare males so that you could get to know your own experience with snakes.The obviously you would get the offer of owning any i am going to sell.
You are a little further away than I had in mind, but it sounds like you knows your beans, so if its ok with you, I still might take you up on your offer to some degree or another :)

Thankyou...
:D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'm based in Dagenham, although we've only had our corns for about two or three months your more than welcome to contact me or my wife for a chat.

I would also recommend visiting a good reptile shop to have a look and to talk to them. The local one I go to is Cold Blooded in Rainham, the guys in there are VERY helpful and will always answer any questions you may have. Lou or myself could meet you there if your've never been before, we end up going at least twice a week for food etc.

PM me if you want some more info.

Also have a good look around this site and ask any questions you want, everyone on here is very helpfull and there are some real experts on the site.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Big it up for the Dagenham massive (lol) so where are all the Brentwood snakeowners?! :roll:

I'm sure you are all out there, I just scared you off didnt I! :oops:

Wow Trice, I just noticed...did you really only just join these forums or is there a mistake on your joining date?!

Is your Keyboard smoking or what?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry Crosby, I was so hung up with Trice's post count, I didnt even end up acknowledging your post! :lol:

I will definately PM you. Thankyou very much for your kind offer.

I have heard 'cold blooded' mentionned before round these boards. I think I'll go for a google and map its location down.

I was originally thinking of going to 'shop' route, but I thought you tend to get a more honest opinion from owners as they have no motive to their advice.

If the owners of said shop are as good as you suggest though... I'm thinking a visit is definately in order in the near future :D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
fluffy said:
Sorry Crosby, I was so hung up with Trice's post count, I didnt even end up acknowledging your post! :lol:

I will definately PM you. Thankyou very much for your kind offer.

I have heard 'cold blooded' mentionned before round these boards. I think I'll go for a google and map its location down.

I was originally thinking of going to 'shop' route, but I thought you tend to get a more honest opinion from owners as they have no motive to their advice.

If the owners of said shop are as good as you suggest though... I'm thinking a visit is definately in order in the near future :D
No probs, just PM me and we can sort something out.

As for Trice, he is what is known as a "post whore". He's a student who spends all his lecture time logged into a computer on this site. You will also notice that the content of his posts lack a certain amount of content. But apart from that he seems quite friendly in a sad dog kinda way. :lol: :lol:

G

·
Fluffy feel free to ask me for info at any time.If i can help i am more than willing to do so.

I would strongly recommend Cold Blooded to anyone looking for a reptile shop and used to travel there regularly both from Edmonton where we used to live and then from Clacton where we have moved to.

The guys there are very friendly and extremely knowledgeable on many species of reptile.They also usually have a very good range of books which can be invalueble to new keepers

·
Registered
173 Posts
i would beware of anyone who claims to be normal, lol

seriously though i have been on the forum for a short while, although i am not in trice's league where posts are concered, and can say i have had nothing but great advise from loads of people who know what they are talking about, even thoug some of my questions have been a little basic.

Slapshot

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, good point, I hastily retract the claim of being normal :lol:

Lets put it this way... I cant remember the last time I went on an axe-wielding rampage... although maybe that just means that the 'blank episodes' are becoming more frequent! :shock: :wink:

I have to say that I'm overwhelmed at the posts already. You all seem very passionate about your snake keeping, I think thats why I like it here so much already!

I see what you mean about Trice. Bless.. FAR too much time on his hands!

I have been a member of another forum for over 5 years (something totally unrelated!) and I thought my almost 10'000 posts there was shocking!!

Its all good tho :wink:

(ooh, look, my 20th post! hurrah! :roll: :lol: )

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Nah, my join date is real! I wonder if i was the fastest member ever to get to 1000 posts :D. Anyway yeah, No offence, if it was my house and not my parents i'd more than welcome you over. But i think they'd be a bit funny of a woman turning up from the internet just to look at my snakes. (Sorry). But if you go Cold Blooded and i'm around maybe i'll pop down there too :D

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Trice said:
Nah, my join date is real! I wonder if i was the fastest member ever to get to 1000 posts :D. Anyway yeah, No offence, if it was my house and not my parents i'd more than welcome you over. But i think they'd be a bit funny of a woman turning up from the internet just to look at my snakes. (Sorry). But if you go Cold Blooded and i'm around maybe i'll pop down there too :D

No probs, thanks for the thought tho.

I have to say, I've never had the "come up and see my snakes" line before!

ROFL at the though of your parents reaction as you lead some strange woman up the stairs......

"Its ok mum/dad, I met her off the internet...shes just come to play with my snake!" :oops: :lol:

Thanks for the laugh!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts