Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have good websites or documents withg regards to the venomous and non venomous snakes of europe?

ive found one good document which ill post up shortly

but id like to find out - exactly what venomous species we have in europe - what non venomous we have.

were they live etc etc etc

any help would be great

·
Registered
15,628 Posts
front fanged venomous snakes in europe:

Asp Viper - Vipera aspis - common in switzerland and northwest italy - where a melanistic form is present. also found in southern italy and sicily where the colouration is similar to that of the adder.

Lataste's viper - Vipera latasti - Iberian paninsula, has a slightly horned nose.

Nose horned viper - Vipera ammodytes - found in greece, ionian and aegean islands, as well as albania and surrounding countries.

Ottoman viper - Vipera xanthina - found in northern greece, turkey and some aegean islands.

Milos viper - Vipera schweizeri - cyclades islans in the aegean sea

Orsini's viper - Vipera ursinii - very limited range.scattered across europe, found in central italy, northern greece, southern france and then eastern europe - however the population is highly scattered with small population pockets.

Adder - Vipera berus - huge distribution range, throughtout europe except portugal, spain, and parts of italy.

Seoanes viper - Vipera seoanei - northern iberian peninsula.

Asp viper - Vipera aspis. variable distribution ranging from northern spain, france, southern germany, switzerland and italy.

all the above comes either from my head or a field guide on reptiles and amphibians of europe, by Nicholas Arnold.

Alex

·
Registered
479 Posts
Only a small area but I was looking for info on dice snakes last night and found this about the native reptiles of Crete Reptiles of Crete at Aquaworld

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Or you could try the Collier's Field Guide to the Reptiles and Amphibians of Europe (I got that for my birthday this year....)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts