Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually im lying...it has that too!

Just wanted to take this opportunity to show off my Tegu's new enclosure. its taken me a good 5 weeks or so to build and cost an absolute fortune! Ive never built a viv before so I am massivly proud of myself.

anyway here it is....

He went from this 4 x 2 x 2...

IMG_1298 by rustyfuknut46, on Flickr

To this 8 x 4 x 4....

IMG_4974 by rustyfuknut46, on Flickr

The side doors fold down so he can get in and out of the viv and free roam the room...

IMG_5017 by rustyfuknut46, on Flickr

The cork bark is his platform to the second level and also his basking spot. he has 3 basking bulbs ranging from 105*f at the bottom up to 115*f at the top. I did this to encourage him to use it (which worked a treat!)

IMG_5037 by rustyfuknut46, on Flickr

Here is his "Bath", I bought this from B&Q and plumbed it in so it can be filled up and emptied from outside the viv...

IMG_5021 by rustyfuknut46, on Flickr

Fills up here...

IMG_5026 by rustyfuknut46, on Flickr

and empties here...

IMG_5029 by rustyfuknut46, on Flickr

Massive cork bark tube used as a hide...

IMG_4988 by rustyfuknut46, on Flickr

Basking area and second level...

IMG_4990 by rustyfuknut46, on Flickr

and here's the big lad himself....

IMG_1659 by rustyfuknut46, on Flickr

as for whats in it....

it has 1000ltr of orchid bark as substrate about 1ft deep. A 5ft statted tube heater for ambient temps (cheers chuckwalla). 3 basking bulbs (2 par38's and 1 R80). 3 UV tubes and a 500w AHS heater to make sure the night time temps dont drop too low.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice during the build. it was very much appreciated!

now taking bets on how long it takes him to destroy it.....

All the best

(A very chuffed) Tom

·
Registered
534 Posts
that is sooooooo cool mate well done:no1: im getting the wood for my bosc's viv tomorrow its going to be 8x4x4 your tanks gave me some brilliant ideas lol
great viv once again:2thumb:

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Nice! Those folding doors are an awesome idea mate

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
that is so unbelievably cool m8 i so wont my tegus next viv to look like that in fact i would be over the moon if it looked half that good:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

·
Grinning Gecko
3,662 Posts
People say that reptile keepers dont look after their animals and keep them in awful conditions. They should have a look at something like this before they start trashing our hobby.

Absolutly fantastic setup, Im really impressed.You clearly love your big lad. Hes a very lucky tegu indeed.

I love the addition of his bath but I think you forgot his little towel rail and somewhere to put his electric toothbrush.

Reactions: SkinheadOi85

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
WOW!: victory:

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
i think that is one of the best viv builds i have seen-very impressed. Dan

I just had the same opinion that viv is sick! :2thumb:
I want one! :whistling2:
Think you need to go into buisness fella! :no1:
Im most impressed with the sink system.
Well thought out and planned build :D

·
Registered
18,150 Posts
wow that viv looks amazing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
People say that reptile keepers dont look after their animals and keep them in awful conditions. They should have a look at something like this before they start trashing our hobby.

Absolutly fantastic setup, Im really impressed.You clearly love your big lad. Hes a very lucky tegu indeed.

I love the addition of his bath but I think you forgot his little towel rail and somewhere to put his electric toothbrush.
Thanks for the great comments people. Im still very new to reptiles (and it was seeing a Tegu that set me off!) but no one can tell me that I dont look after my animals and hearing all of your comments has made me really happy (especially coming from a professional viv builder!). Seeing the Tegu in the enclosure was a massive high but your comments are the icing on the cake.

as for the 2ft drop. its not as far as that and I think it depends on the lizard and knowing my Tegu, he isnt the sort to roam around carelessly so im not worried. I was originally going to put something up there but because of the loose substrate I put up top, he is only going to move it around make it taller nearer the edge anyway!

As for the Tegu. He is doing absolutely fantastic. my main worry was that he wouldnt use the second level and would stick to the bottom (being terrestrial) so I took a risk putting his water source up there. I tried to encourage him to climb by putting his basking spot hottest at the top and thank god it paid off. he thanked me by doing a massive turd right at the top! Ive just fed him and the first thing I notice is he is a lot more active and a lot "brighter" looking. he also has much more of an appetite.

I really think he appreciates the opportunity to dig, about 1/3 of the day I cant see him apart from the substrate slowly moving up and down while he breathes!

as for the enclosure. within the first hour one of the plants was destroyed (which I knew was going to happen. they were there for photo's more than anything!).

for those of you who have mentioned wanting to build a big viv. having built one recently I can offer some good advice. a lot of what I did was trial and error and information is very very scarce on large viv builts.

Thanks again for the comments people. Im going to try to fit my head through the door now!

All the best

Tom

1 - 20 of 130 Posts