Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a shot of one my OH's rough green snakes and the angle makes him look a little evil :lol2:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Heh... it makes him look like a little toughie!

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Got a shot of one my OH's rough green snakes and the angle makes him look a little evil :lol2:

that turned out really well!!!!! so cute!
I'm fascinated by rough greens. What are they like to keep?
in short: AWFUL. you buy one. it is almost definitely wild caught. it dies either immediately or a few months later. this is nearly guaranteed, though a few lucky ones might squeeze by.

in long: a bit nightmarish and frought with stress for a good while. if you are able to get one that's been in captivity a while, and it's not near the end of its natural life, you may have some decent success with it. it may already have become acclimatised to sterile bacteria free crickets, in which case if you meet the humidity, ventilation, hiding and heat requirements, it should do ok, as long as you leave it alone. stress kills these too!

if you can get a captive bred one, you're probably going to do ok...you'll still need to give it alot of places to hide; a secure, escape proof enclosure, humidity, ventilation and heat. also the food will need dusting with vitamins from time to time. UV light is also required.

also, if you can get a few, they are very communal, and probably calm each other down.

Wildlifewarrior has a breeding colony that has been going a while now. he knows probably as much if not more than any one else in the UK on these...my info was mainly from him. he's also worth asking for babies.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Yep, pretty much what I expected to hear! There was a great article about them in PRK a few months back and that got me interested but I appreciate they're really difficult to care for properly and get it all right so not to be entered into lightly unless you really know your stuff.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Yep, pretty much what I expected to hear! There was a great article about them in PRK a few months back and that got me interested but I appreciate they're really difficult to care for properly and get it all right so not to be entered into lightly unless you really know your stuff.
i believe, though i haven't had the pleasure of reading that article, that wildlifewarrior wrote it!

don't let what i said quench your interest...i got into them because a) they're AMAZING and b) i realised they weren't bred very often...just imported and sold cheeply and i wanted to try breeding them myself. my own sad experiences with a few at the start of my herping days taught me the frustration first hand...but i knew i couldn't give up.

the colony i now have is my second proper attempt with these...though they've yet to breed.
WLW has been immensely helpful, so i credit him with what i know...and one day i hope to get the issue of PRK with that article! there'll be loads in there i don't know yet!

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Yes they looked amazing in the article but I haven't even seen one in real life yet. The article was the Dec 2010 issue. I thought Christian had written it but it seems to be credited to Hannah Salisbury, unless Christian wrote it and Hannah was the reporter. Not sure how these things work. I think there's a definite niche in the market (sorry to use that expression in relation to herp keeping but hopefully you know what I mean!) for developing a strong line of CB rough greens.

I don't really have any breeding ambitions with my other snakes but something about the challenge of RGs appeals to me. Maybe something for the future when I feel I've proved myself a bit more. I would never go into keeping/breeding them unless I felt I could do it to the best of my ability and after loads of research.

I wish you every success with yours. Please keep me posted - I'd love to know how you get on.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Yes they looked amazing in the article but I haven't even seen one in real life yet. The article was the Dec 2010 issue. I thought Christian had written it but it seems to be credited to Hannah Salisbury, unless Christian wrote it and Hannah was the reporter. Not sure how these things work. I think there's a definite niche in the market (sorry to use that expression in relation to herp keeping but hopefully you know what I mean!) for developing a strong line of CB rough greens.

I don't really have any breeding ambitions with my other snakes but something about the challenge of RGs appeals to me. Maybe something for the future when I feel I've proved myself a bit more. I would never go into keeping/breeding them unless I felt I could do it to the best of my ability and after loads of research.

I wish you every success with yours. Please keep me posted - I'd love to know how you get on.
that's odd about the article...maybe i'm wrong.
once you have the setup right with some well adjusted RGSes, the fun is in watching them really. i think they do everything else automatically.

thanks for the well-wishes! you don't have to be an expert...i certainly am not, but you've done the right thing asking...maybe one day they'll be alot of people breeding them. they should by rights be very popular...once a healthy CB population happens, maybe that popularity will grow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts