Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new, Ive been reading your posts and all the advice you give is sure helping me with my new tortoise, I am one of those unfortunate people who got conned from the pet shop to buy all the unnessasery equipment such as a viv, heat mat. pellets..etc..:oops:

Now after reading your advice on their housing I have changed him to a large storage box with uv strip light and spot bulb in one corner, I did half wood shavings, and half grass matting, but now since reading your thread ive been out and bought play sand and top soil to mix 50/50, but they are both quite damp, so before i put it in his box do i have to dry them out first? or can i put it in damp? I love this site, :) I was wondering if pictures can be posted here?.

Thanks.
MrsD

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi, so glad you have changed things for your tortoise!hopefully we can make all keepers do the same! your pictures look great, Although id have the spotlight facing downwards to produce a basking area of around 28degrees! have you put the sand in on its own?cant tell from the pictures,if so it needs to be mixed in with the soil.Other than that it looks great-a lot better than a viv. What are you feeding your tortoise as im guessing you were given wrong advice on that too!
Would love to see pics of your tort- tortsmad is a great group too!

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Hi
I would remove the household bulb and replace with an ordinary spot lamp, this will give a hot spot as Kerry said when pointing down. As you currently have it it will not do anything at all other than give a bit more light. It also needs to be moved right away fromthe hide area so that your tort can get out of the heat to sleep. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice about the light, I am currantly looking
for a downward clip spot light, I am feeding him on weeds i pick
from the garden (washed) and some romaine lettice, I was feeding him on
pellets that i had to soak in warm water, (pet shop advice) but after reading your comments about them ive stopped.

I have mixed 50% playsand and 50% Top soil it isnt only sand
although it does look like that it is only sand on those pics.

Ive also coverd the sides of the box so he cant see out like your
advice on here, 'It stresses them out to see out'. well now he cant.

I will take some more pics and post them soon as i get a chance.
I havent had him long he's still quite tiny but he seems in good health.
especially now he's in a bigger enviroment. Thanks to your advice..:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would also cover the box with something on the outside so your tort cant see out. I covered mine with wrapping paper lol did the trick! Just so he cant see out as this stresses them :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yes I read that on here somewhere the other day.
so since reading it i have coverd it with a big black bin liner.: victory:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts