Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:hmm:Hi All, I have been letting Leo my Beardy out everynight for a run around and for the past 4 nights he just has a little look around for 5 or 10 minutes then decides to sleep. Is this normal? I dont want this to become a habit which I think it may be. Any suggestions - Please. Leo is 3 months old now, healthy with a good appertite.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, he used to really enjoy running around for ½ hour or so.
The trouble is we are at work all day and dont get home till 4.30 and probably get him out for hugs, cuddles and exercise about 6ish.
Probably better getting him out on weekends for exercise only, hugs cuddles everyday for 5 mins. Would this be enough exercise?

·
Registered
90 Posts
i had the same thing with my beardie. i'm not home from work until 6.30, and I was getting him out then and he wasn't interested and just went and slept somewhere.
I think its just because by then he was settling down for the evening and really just wanted to be left alone.

I dont think they really enjoy cuddles or 'petting' they may tolerate it, but unless they are hungry and your giving them food they may well prefer to be left.

I found that on sunny warm days, my beardie is more happy being out in the evening

It may be also that yours is waking up very early when the sun rises, do you have curtains in the room to keep it dark until the lights switch on?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, no curtains, he dosent wake up until at least 20mins after the sun comes on. I dont exactly give him cuddles I just let him sit on my shoulder for 5mins and I have a chat and a quick stroke under the chin & behind the ears, he loves that. He is 3 months old and I obviously want him as tame as possible. I will save exercise till weekends I think. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
62 Posts
beardie

I agree about the whole evening thing ...

Our lizards have the Dinner, Long Bask, Bed rountine.

When we had beardies I noticed that sometimes they wanted to come out - then they just seemed to want to sleep??.... I figured out they were just cooling off!

TD.x.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dont know if he's cooling off, he just turns to stone, you know, hard on in noddy land. Once he's back in the viv he stays awake for a while, basking then when the sun goes down at 8.00pm he starts to settle down again for the night, turns to stone again till the sun comes up which is 7.00am.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
It's perfectly normal.

You take him from a warm, bright cage and put him into a cool, dimmer room in the evening. His instincts are telling him that night's coming in and he's exposed so, he will be hell-bent on looking for somewhere to sleep for the night...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts