Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just had my Exo Terra repti glo break after only 2 months of using it! :devil: I e-mailed exo-terra who told me;

"We sell thousands of light bulbs and complaints regarding this product are very few and far between. We always follow extensive quality control procedures throughout our manufacturing process, and in checking a product before and after arrival in this country.

Unfortunately no light bulb or tube carries with it a guarantee with respect of the life time it is meant to operate since there are many factors that can affect the life of the bulb or fluorescent tube. Whilst we aim to give an indication as to what people may expect. The indication is not a guarantee."

Needless to say I am very annoyed and will be phoning my supplier tomorrow. Hopefully they will give me an exchange but it's also cost me two light fittings as each time I tried it in order to test it, it broke the whole light fitting! :censor::censor::censor:

VERY annoyed!

Josh

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
It's annoying when this sort of thing happens, but unfortunately what they say is true, lightbulbs are delicate things and easily damaged, and a certain percentage are bound to fail sooner than others, on the bright side the majority do last a lot longer.

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Sorry to hear your having trouble with your Repti Glo Josh.

Unfortunately it is true that bulbs are not guaranteed to last a set period of time other factors can affect their lifespan. When myself & my partner ran a pet shop, we eventually had to put up a sign next to the reptile bulbs saying every bulb that was sold would be tested at the till point, & we would not be able to replace any that came back afterwards. This was due to the high number of bulbs being brought back after a couple of weeks because they had blown. Initially we were sending back loads to our supplier, but after a while we had to do something about it.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing that annoyed me is that I've had it for 2 and a half months. If a bulb is 'recommended' to last about 12 months then surely it should last a hell of a lot longer than 2 and a half months. I do understand they are delicate but it has been in the same fitting for the whole time and has never even been moved.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
I think you may be getting confused, if they say that it lasts 12 months (by which I assume you mean they recommend you change it after 12 months?) that just means that after 12 months it will no longer emit sufficient UV to be of any use, that's not the same as saying that the bulb will keep working for 12 months, otherwise they'd offer that as a guarantee.

Also any quoted lifespan will be an average, obviously that means that some will last longer and some shorter, but most can be expected to last somewhere around the stated figure.

We would all like to think that every bulb we buy is going to be one of the ones that go on for ever, but realistically that's not going to happen, and the more setups you have and the more bulbs you use the more likely you are to get the odd duff one (but also more likely to get more really good ones!).

I'm trying to think of some electrical product where this is not the case, and I can't, can you?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you may be getting confused, if they say that it lasts 12 months (by which I assume you mean they recommend you change it after 12 months?) that just means that after 12 months it will no longer emit sufficient UV to be of any use, that's not the same as saying that the bulb will keep working for 12 months, otherwise they'd offer that as a guarantee.
The bulb I had came with a piece of paper in the packaging that had a '12 month guarantee' on it- apparently this is just an estimate. I just think that it's pretty misleading. However If you read properly into it it does not constitute a 'guarantee.' I suppose it's my own fault for not reading the small print (However I still find it misleading!)

I'm trying to think of some electrical product where this is not the case, and I can't, can you?
I can think of a hell of a lot where if they are advertised with a '12 month guarantee' then they will be replaced/repaired if they break before 12 months though!

The pet shop has been really really helpful and is replacing it at cost price :2thumb: They have a rep for exo terra coming into their store next week and if he replaces my bulb for me they will refund the difference. My post was more about the annoyance of exo terras advertising.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
It all depends what they're guaranteeing though, that the bulb will continue to emit sufficient levels of UVB for 12 months, or that the bulb will last 12 months, akaik no manufacturer offers a 12 month lifespan guarantee on any bulb, even the best MVBs which can last a lot longer than that only have a 6 month guarantee.

How much are you paying for your bulbs anyway? I use these ones myself and get them from Surrey Pet Supplies for about £12, much cheaper than anywhere else I've seen them, and less of a financial blow if you get one that doesn't last so long!

I must say I've never noticed anything about a 12 month guarantee in the paperwork, I'll have to dig out an old box if I've kept one and have a look, that's better than the usual 6 months.

Just had a look at my latest one in fact, and it says nothing about a 12 month guarantee, there's a bit of paper warning that the bulb contains mercury, and on the box it says to make a note of the date so you know to replace the bulb in 12 months time, it doesn't imply any sort of warranty though. I'd be interested to see what came with yours, can you scan it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts