Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to order everything i need to get my Phelsuma Klemmeri setup correctly (the technical aspect of it) and i'd like to know if what i'm thinking of getting is correct or maybe some small changes need to be made.

I was planning on making my own enclosure this past summer (summer is over as far as i'm concerned.. damn rain :p ) but i was not able to due to unforeseen circumstances so i'm bying one.

I'm getting the Exo Terra PT2612 which is 60*45*60
With that i'm getting the Dualtop PT2232 (60cm) light fixture

As for lighting i'm getting a Repti Glo 2.0 45cm 15w tube and either a Repti Glo 5.0 or 10.0 for UV requirements
I'm guessing the 10.0 is a bit overkill since they are primarily used in desert terrariums... any thoughts ?
As for other lighting/heating i'll get 1 or 2 Sun Glo halogen bulbs 35w and i'm hoping that would be adaquate to get the right temperatures at the basking spot and rest of the enclosure, i guess it's a bit of trial and error with that.

Basking spot for the Klemmeri should be about 35 degrees celsius and the temperature in the rest of the enclosure between 27-31 during the day from what i have read.
Maybe a heatmat under the enclosure if the temps drop to low at night ?
I've read that they can handle 20 celsius at night no problem

And ofcourse a digital thermometer (PT2472) for the basking spot and a 2 in 1 Thermo/Hygro (PT2470) for the rest of the enclosure.

I think thats it for the technical part of the enclosure... anything i am forgetting ? or any other thoughts on what i wrote above ?

Maybe someone else has a working setup for Klemmeri from Exo terra that i can copy :whistling2:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I'm getting ready to order everything i need to get my Phelsuma Klemmeri setup correctly (the technical aspect of it) and i'd like to know if what i'm thinking of getting is correct or maybe some small changes need to be made.

I was planning on making my own enclosure this past summer (summer is over as far as i'm concerned.. damn rain :p ) but i was not able to due to unforeseen circumstances so i'm bying one.

I'm getting the Exo Terra PT2612 which is 60*45*60
With that i'm getting the Dualtop PT2232 (60cm) light fixture

As for lighting i'm getting a Repti Glo 2.0 45cm 15w tube and either a Repti Glo 5.0 or 10.0 for UV requirements
I'm guessing the 10.0 is a bit overkill since they are primarily used in desert terrariums... any thoughts ?
As for other lighting/heating i'll get 1 or 2 Sun Glo halogen bulbs 35w and i'm hoping that would be adaquate to get the right temperatures at the basking spot and rest of the enclosure, i guess it's a bit of trial and error with that.

Basking spot for the Klemmeri should be about 35 degrees celsius and the temperature in the rest of the enclosure between 27-31 during the day from what i have read.
Maybe a heatmat under the enclosure if the temps drop to low at night ?
I've read that they can handle 20 celsius at night no problem

And ofcourse a digital thermometer (PT2472) for the basking spot and a 2 in 1 Thermo/Hygro (PT2470) for the rest of the enclosure.

I think thats it for the technical part of the enclosure... anything i am forgetting ? or any other thoughts on what i wrote above ?

Maybe someone else has a working setup for Klemmeri from Exo terra that i can copy :whistling2:
That all sounds great. You may not see klemmeri very often in a viv that size though lol, but they will definately utilize the space. What you have described sounds very similar to my day gecko set-ups which i have found works well.

I'm not sure if you will need a heat mat for night time temps. My set ups have dropped in the low 60's at night in winter and i haven't noticed any problems related to this, as long as they can warm up in the day.

Does the dual top cover the entire mesh top or is there still some open mesh for ventilation?

You might as well get a 10% uv bulb as your phelsuma wont overdose on UV as the levels in the wild are much higher than what the bulbs produce i think. Also the mesh will cut out some of the uv so you might as well have a 10%. Here's a pic of my male P. Pasteuri's viv just to help give you an idea for furnishings (i also use exo terras which are just as easy to set up) ;)

Hope that helps a bit,

Ed : victory:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it's a pretty big enclosure for those small critters and i'm thinking of getting the 45*45*60 instead... big enough also and with the money i save maybe i can get 1 of those automated lighting systems :2thumb: ...w'll see.
The dual top lighting fixtures are more expensive than the enclosures themselves.

The dual top is about 20cm's wide so that leaves about 20-25 cm's of open mesh at the top i think... should be more then adaquate ?
It also has a fan so that helps a bit also.

How big is that enclosure in the photo ?

My sister has a plants/flowers shop so getting the enclosure furnished wont be a problem i reckon.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Yeah it's a pretty big enclosure for those small critters and i'm thinking of getting the 45*45*60 instead... big enough also and with the money i save maybe i can get 1 of those automated lighting systems :2thumb: ...w'll see.
The dual top lighting fixtures are more expensive than the enclosures themselves.

The dual top is about 20cm's wide so that leaves about 20-25 cm's of open mesh at the top i think... should be more then adaquate ?
It also has a fan so that helps a bit also.

How big is that enclosure in the photo ?

My sister has a plants/flowers shop so getting the enclosure furnished wont be a problem i reckon.
Ok cool, there should be enough room left for ventilation then.

The tank in the pic is a viv i built which is 40x40x60cm.

That should work out well then for furnishngs. Phelsuma like bamboo and rigid leaved plants such as sanseveria or bromiliads : victory:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts