Reptile Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
get some videos up

Sorry it's been so long, had an issue with a leaky waterfall and had to wait for some new black silicon, the waterfall to dry out and some time to sort it! All done now and just waiting for some frogs!

Wow, that looks fantastic! What species of dwarf gecko are they that are going in? Are they Lygodactylus sp?

Ed :notworthy:
Hi Ed, originally was going to house a Lygodactylus luteopicturatus trio, but due to a deal falling through I have decided to go with dart frogs instead.

So, at the request of Phil -

YouTube - Dart Frog vivarium (you may want to kill your sound as the clicking of my autofocus is REALLY annoying!)

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
That looks really fantastic!

Quick question for you. The piece of bark you have on the left with the plant in the top.....did you silicone the bark in place?

I think that would work well in my wtf viv but not sure how you go about securing it. Thanks: victory:

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That looks really fantastic!

Quick question for you. The piece of bark you have on the left with the plant in the top.....did you silicone the bark in place?

I think that would work well in my wtf viv but not sure how you go about securing it. Thanks: victory:
Yep!
After the main soil went in, I siliconed the cork bark 'half tube' to the side. Then, once dry, I filled it with soil and added the plant. Its a little drier in there but a regular water seems to be working fine. It also gives a little 'hide' behind it, between the cork and the background.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Thanks for the info, I think it's a brilliant idea!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
That is absoloutley outstanding!
Good look cleaning it out lol! :2thumb:

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That is absoloutley outstanding!
Good look cleaning it out lol! :2thumb:
Ah ha - thats the true genius you see!

It is composed of 'bioactive' substrate. This means it is seeded with hundreds of micro-organisms and a number of tropical woodlouse species and spring tails etc. They will consume and digest the frog waste, converting it into nitrogenous compounds that will feed the plants!

They will also provide food for the frogs! = no cleaning out!

....now that's magic!

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
thats amazing lol - I got told!

Hold often do you replenish the woodluse and springtail stock to stop the frogs from avin all of em or will they breed well in there?

When do your first frogs go in?

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Registered
581 Posts
I missed this the first time - really interesting :2thumb:. Any updates?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts