Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had experience of a snake with an abscess? My awesome king snake is in a bit of a bad way I fear.

I took George my Cali King to a reptile vet about 3 weeks ago due to a lump in her tail just below the cloaca.

I had emailed the vet in advance and he advised 5 days of warm baths to see if it would encourage her to defecate and see if the problem was a blockage. No joy.

When we went he drained a large amount of pus from the lump and after it was sent for a tox report we started baytril twice a day for 2 weeks, the lump went down slightly but has since increased in size again. We are on day 13 of her antibiotics and when I took her out earlier to give it to her I notice a foul smell, it was emanating from her cloaca (yes, I sniffed my snakes ass :blush: )

I phoned the vets and the guy is off today but back tomorrow so we can discuss the next step.

Any help please?!?!? Should I push for an operation to find out what is wrong? Money isn't an object, she is my only scaled kid and I love her to pieces,

Please help,
MSK

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I will talk to the rep vet tomorrow and try to discuss how soon we can take her over.

Ideally it would be on a date where we can provisionally book for the operation as well, it is a 200 mile round trip to get her there. Of course we will do it, just a case of trying to do what is best for her and still efficient. As a non-driver I am SO grateful that my Mum also loves George <3

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
I had a royal that developed an abscess in its throat. The vet gave a "general spectrum" antibiotics which didn't work. Hopefully your vet will take a sample / biopsy and they will be able to give an antibiotic that is targeted to that infection.

Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
264 Posts
my snow boa turned up with an abcess in his nose when i bought im from a guy on here (wont mentioned names as he made it right) but that had to be surgically removed with antibiotics to follow for 2 weeks, it was huge the size of a 5p coin and about 5 mm thick.:devil:

here's the scar

ps he's in much better shape now :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Best wishes for the vet visit. Hopefully, along with any other treatment on the day, the vet will take a swab so that a targeted antibiotic can be prescribed for the infection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All being well, we will get her to the rep vet tomorrow (fingers crossed) When the vet drained the abscess he sent it off for a toxicology report, it was decided that Baytril would be the best plan of attack. She was on 0.1ml twice daily but that hasn't seem to have much of an effect.

Although she may be going for a trip tomorrow, I tried her with a mouse pinkie (would have gone with fuzzy if the shop had them) She hasn't eaten in so long and larger food types that she used to have such as rat pups weren't getting her interest. She has lost a fair bit of weight but I was thrilled that she ate 2 pinkies, can only assume that such a tiny snack looked more manageable than other things she's been offered. If I can't get her to gain weight at the minute than at least I hope to stop her losing any more, poor mite.

Thanks for all your input,

MSK

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm lucky that the vet is kind enough to discuss options before we go in so that we can formulate a plan. Saves us many hours of driving!

He doesn't think surgery is advisable at this time, she is booked in for Monday afternoon to have it drained again and then will be on a month of injections every 3 days, the estimate I was emailed said 'Ceftazidime' so I think will be the antibiotic we go with.

The vet and vet techs were amazed at how chilled she was last time we were there, lets hope that she is just as well behaved. I will offer her a small snack today and/ or tomorrow to see if she will take, she is a bit thin but seems happy enough in herself.

·
Registered
17,669 Posts
I can't really say anything for snakes, but I have seen this in iguanas.
Our vet advised something completely different though, if it pops with the friction, (it is actually a good thing, if it is genuinley an abscess, although to the inexperienced hands, it can look very scary looking like a blood bath.

In my case the abscess had popped completely, due to the friction of movement from a branch she was sitting on.

Our vet adivsed applying an iodeine, betadine, tamodine, sugar and vasaline, manuka honey, ventlinex,or anything else similar to clean it out.

If there is bacteria trapped in there, it needs to come out, so it wouldn't be suprising to see your vet deliberately pop it out.
I would say do it yourself, but maybe it is better to see someone with more expeirence, and knowledge do it first.

My girl came away with some metacam for pain releif though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Malc, I'm sorry to hear that your royal passed away, do you think it was directly linked to the baytril? That was a really useful link, thank you.

They vet drained 0.2 pus mixed with blood, better than last time which was 2ml bright yellow pus which he said was a lot for a little snake like her.

Just tried our first antibiotic injection at home, the vet tech said not into a blood vessel but into the muscle and I did it at the vets, think I managed it but now I am really worried I did something wrong!

Heres to hoping I didn't mess up,
MSK

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How is she doing now?
She seems ok, in blue so not actually doing much. Don't know if it is the antibiotics or not but she is very lifeless, thought she was dead the other day and pretty much picked her up and shook her before she moved at all. Very scary!

She has scabs on her side and nasty scratches/ chips on her ventral scales that I have also been trying to keep an eye on and tamodine daily. I think I have found the cause of the scratches at least, one of her wooden hides has these sharp little spikes on, furious that I didn't think of it sooner so that has been sanded back and fingers crossed.

Thank you for asking :D

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Snakes usually shed a lot when they are healing so that's probably a good sign. Glad that you found the probable cause. Most of the scabs will probably come off when she sheds, or the skin could get stuck around them, so be prepared for both eventualities. There's also the thing that you will be keeping her dry so she could have a messed up shed for that reason too. Don't worry if you see some blood when she sheds. Best wishes for her recovery. :2thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts