Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is a bit of a long post, but hopefully it'll give you a better insight into what i've tried so far

I'm having a problem getting my Beardie Oscar to eat any veg and I know that its important for him to get a balanced diet, but no matter what i try he just isn't interested.

At the moment he gets:
A mustard cress punnet in the viv once a week (lasts about 3 days before it's wilted),
Daily a mixture of leaves (rocket, frise, dandelion, oakleaf, watercress)
Every other day he gets peppers, butternut squash or tomato as well.

He gets this at least daily, sometimes twice a day (so it's fresh later in the day).

I've tried just putting it in a bowl, strategically placing it around the viv so it looks like plants, shredding it all really thin, medium or large, putting in a bowl with mealies (so the movement attracts him), or in a bowl with water. I've also tried dusted and not dusted in case it was that.

The only way i've been able to get veg into him in the last 3 months is to pop some in his mouth when he's basking - he then chomps it down, but won't eat any more, and i've only managed this with literaly 3 leaves of rocket.

He is now 14 months old, a good weight (526g) 19.5", and feeds well on live food - 4-5 large locusts every other day (Occasionally crickets instead), mealworms and pheonix worms in between. All of his live food is gutloaded with a wide range of dusted veg (the left overs of above that i haven't eaten) so on this side i'm happy that he's getting a decent amount of nutrition.

This winter he didn't brumate at all, and i put him on a starvation diet in december with no live food for 3 weeks and only veg to eat. During this time, his weight dropped from 490g to 410g and he didn't eat any veg at all.

He's now been back on his food for 2 months and back to a good weight, and throughout all this he has remained active and attentive, and poos normally (he didn't when he wasn't eating for obvious reasons)

Is this something I should be worrying about or not? I'm thinking of having another go at staving him to see if that'll do it.

The usual stuff:
I've had him on his own in a 4x2x2 viv for a year now (with no recent changes)
2 36" Arcadia 12% UVB tubes
2 White spot bulbs
Hot End 95-100f, basking spot 110f, cool end 80-85f
Substrate mixture of sand, slate tiles, rocks and excavator clay.

Calcium dusting of food 5 days a week, Nutrobal at weekends.

Hope someone has some ideas, It's driving me nuts, and I must be throwing away £20 veg a week just because he won't eat it.:devil:

Cheers

Ed
1.0 Pogona Vitticeps (Oscar)
1.0 Furcifer Paradalis - Nose Be x Ambilbobe BB (Felix)

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
sounds like he's one of those beardies that just doesn't eat veg. Just make sure his livefood is well gut fed, nothing to worry about really.. some just don't like veg.

·
Banned
7,051 Posts
Erika, my beardie, doesn't eat veg at all, ever. Some don't so it's not a good idea to starve them in a hope that they'll start to eat it.

Just make sure you gut load your live food as Meko said.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i've had the same problem for a while,but have started putting the live food in his veg bowl and keeping them in there with the tongs,when he goes for the crix etc he usually gets some veg with it.Hopfully worth a try if you are worried,

·
Registered
499 Posts
yeah as above mine never took any interest in veg, untill I started to put him mealworm in the bowl as well.

Maybe he does not recognise veg as food as its not moving ????

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
my bindi wouldnt touch her veggies until recently.she was two last month and i think she started eating veg properly ie more than two mouthfuls since jan this year.before that she would only have maybe one/two pieces if i was lucky.shes now decided she like marks and spencers cabbage greens,rocket and four leafed salad and tescos spring greens she wont touch any other brand that i put in her viv.she eats the odd piece of butternut squash and pepper but they have to be from m+s she wont touch the others + dont know why i think m+s lase their veggies with something that appeals to her.
i also give her papaya,pineapple,mango and melon as a treat once or twice a week again from m+s.
i think shes got a thing for m+s fruit and veg:whistling2:
i gutload my livefood with plenty of fresh fruit and veg,bug grub and water crystals and shake them in calcium or nutrobal before i feed them to her.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Young beardies (which yours is) whilst still young and agile prefer to hunt for insects its only once they get to about 2.5yrs that they really start on the veg.

ahh that could explain it... i'll keep offering it and not worry too much

·
Registered
590 Posts
If he takes water from a pipette then try sticking the veggies in a blender and making a puree (you can freeze this in an ice cube tray and defrost as required) then feed him the puree via a pipette.

This works for ours and is still the only way he'll eat veggies and take about four 5ml pipettes full at a time and bearing in mind the puree is concentrated he gets a good feed.

You can also add vits into the mix if properly measured out.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Yup really don't worry, as all the others have said, some like it, some don't completely omnivorous creatures, as juveniles they prefer live food and some never grow out of that, some grow to prefer the veg.. just one of those things :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.