Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as most will know i have had lots of beardies and so i do know how to care for them etc and have lots of experience with them. its been suggested to me by 2 people, both of whom are meant to know their stuff about all things reptilian, that cat food is good to feed beardies.

ive never actually tried any of mine on it, though i fif put a tiny bit on my finger, most turned their noses up at it and one nearly had my finger off or it :lol2:

so i wanna hear from beardie keepers, do you feed cat food to your beardie? and if its a bad idea why is it?

ive always stuck to liveand salad, and think i will continue this, just curious really

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Too much salt and too much protein.I firmly believe veg should make up the highest proportion of an adult beardies diet-at least 50:50.My opinion anyway!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
cat food as with all reptiles is a big no no it is really fatty hardly any nutrients that will be required, like berber king said veg is a huge part of a beardies diet specially as they get older

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Never tried it with mine.
And never heard of it being fed to them to be honest.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Ive never tried it, as people have said its bad for them, so i wouldnt try it.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I'm sure a pinkie-sized amount won't be much worse than feeding them a pinkie (depending on what the cat-food is based on). I wouldn't recommend it be fed often though, if at all...

I've never tried it with them and have no plans to. I have tried feeder insects on cat food before, so I'm sure that my beardies will have indirectly eaten a bit of it through gut loading.

There are a lot of stories like that around; most stem from a "one size fits all" mentality - ie if it's good for one pet (a cat) it's good for all pets, or from people who assume that a dragon knows what's best for itself, therefore if it eats cat food, it's because cat food's good for it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts