Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm pleased to say that this is not a thread about royal python anorexia.

Nyoka has refused 3 feeds since I've had her, fortunately these refusals have not been concurrent.

She was happily feeding weekly (on a monday) for the first 6 weeks I had her. then was her first refusal on 18th December, but just after this, she went into blue, so I didnt worry. She shed on the sunday (24th) so I offered her a feed again on the 25th (her scheduled feed day) which she refused.
she then fed for 2 weeks on her scheduled feed days.
Since then she has refused once again.
In brief, her feed records:

Fed (for 6 weeks)
refused (for 2 weeks)
Fed (for 2 weeks)
refused (for 1 week)
Fed this week.

Should I continue to offer her weekly, or reduce feedings to every 10 days or so?

I know royals are more prone to refuse feeds through the winter months but I dont want to starve her, I also dont want to waste mice (I'm not made of money!!!) or stress myself out each time she refuses!! :?

Whats a girl to do?!

Please help!

P.s I moved her into her new vivarium this weekend, and ate for me on monday... I'm really relieved about that! :D

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
i think you worrying about nothing tbh! :p

A couple of refused feeds during winter months is nothing! If shes taking rats every now and again I still offer once a week.... if she then goes a month where she refuses offer every 2 weeks until its frequent again....

Overall keep a eye on her weight.. there will only be anything wrong if the weight drops suddenly.

Honestly though, do what you think is best! On 100 posts you'd get 50 different solutions!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Whats a girl to do?!
The best thing is not to panic too much, as the temperatures have dropped (winter) this will also pass into the vivarium and effect the ambient temperatures.

This can affect the feeding of the animal, the best thing is to leave it alone and try to minimise handling.

Keep trying your normal feeding routine, and leave the animal to it's own devices and it will soon settle down again. Into a normal feeding pattern.

Regards

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gaz,

I know this is 'normal' behaviour from a royal and I think you are right that I am worrying over nothing.... The worst thing is that my royal seems to have a phobia of mice! :lol:
She runs away - (well, doesnt RUN :roll: but you get the idea....) if I dangle or move a mouse in the hope for a strike from her!!
I dont want to risk stressing her if she is not going to want to eat.

I'll see how we go next monday!!

Edited to add

I weigh her regularly and although it dips a little here and there, in the eleven weeks I've had her, she has gone from 172g to 230g (last weighed a week ago on the last refused.
For a 9-10 month old Royal python, does that weight/weight gain sound about right?

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
welcome to the site , BJ herp :D

I am sure you will be a valuable addition to the forum

Julia

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bjherp said:
Whats a girl to do?!
The best thing is not to panic too much, as the temperatures have dropped (winter) this will also pass into the vivarium and effect the ambient temperatures.

This can affect the feeding of the animal, the best thing is to leave it alone and try to minimise handling.

Keep trying your normal feeding routine, and leave the animal to it's own devices and it will soon settle down again. Into a normal feeding pattern.

Regards
Thanks bjherp, that also helps.

I'll reduce the ammount I handle her (although I dont handle her THAT much anyway) and see if I can get her a little more settled. I'm sure she'll be fine - it just nice to have that reassurance thats all! :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts