Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Extatosoma tiaratum

Last year I bought 4 macleays spectre nymphs, 3 female and 1 male at about L3, all from the same dealer on the internet. When they matured they bred and between the 3 laid well over 2000 eggs. I remember my 2 of my females were unusually small when they reached their final shed, yet I was informed by a friend who has kept this species for a while that may be due to lack of appropriate or fresh leaves as young nymphs.

Today after 8 months the first of the eggs hatched and I was wondering whether it is necessary to swap or purchase some more nymphs from another source so as to prevent interbreeding? Is this stunted growth due to being inbred or due to malnutrition as a nymph?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that I am aware of, I found with other species of stick insect that the regenerated limb was often slight smaller and they seemed to be regularly sized? They were considerably smaller and had trouble moulting.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I`m not sure how much inbreeding affects inverts as there are many parthenogenic species where there is no exchange of genes as there are no males present.
Also with a species like Macleays, from Australia, there has, more than likely, been no new addition to the gene pool for a number of years. If you were to purchase some "fresh" individuals they may be very closely related to those you already have.
I think this is a fascinating subject you have raised and I look forward to some more knowledgeable posts being made.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.