Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I’m looking to sell 5 lots of stick insect ova (eggs), each batch contains 20 eggs and costs £3.50 with £1 postage, so £4.50 total per order (I'm sorry, the data above says £4 but that is incorrect); the species is Extatosoma tiaratum and is also known by two other names: the giant spiny leaf insect or the Macleay’s Spectre. These eggs are from an unrelated mated pair, you can see in the photograph below what the parents look like (female on the left, male on the right). The photos were taken a couple of weeks ago.

The eggs have various collection dates but these range from the 1st September to the 21st September 2012. I will send a note with your eggs telling you which batch they are from and what date I started and finished collecting them. Please be aware that these can take anywhere from four months to two years to hatch, keeping the eggs cold will prolong their development but excess heat can impede or kill the developing embryos. I’ve often been advised to keep my eggs in an airing cupboard where it is consistently warm but not hot.

If hatching conditions are ideal these eggs should start showing signs of life in January or February.

As hatching dates approach it is recommended that you spray the eggs lightly with water using a plant mister every few days, this encourages hatching and stops the egg shell getting stuck on the nymph’s leg. Legs can and will be gradually regrown during infancy if lost, antenna however will not (although it’s been heard that lost antenna may reappear as an extra leg, oops!). Nymphs will average 18mm (1.8cm) long when they first emerge and are black with a red head. They can be fed on bramble, eucalyptus, rose and oak leaves.

If you wish to keep and breed this species long term please make sure you regularly bring in new bloodlines, this species is particularly inbred and parthenogenesis and inbreeding can cause high mortality rates in nymphs as well as other issues. It is not uncommon for inbred or parthenogenically produced animals to be weak and suddenly drop dead despite seeming healthy.

If you are interested please contact me via Private Message so we can arrange payment and postage. The ova will be shipped in seed tubes, 10 eggs per tube (so 2 tubes per order), that will then be placed in a padded jiffy bag. Don't worry, the eggs won't be at risk of hatching in the post but I will ensure they are sent by 1st Class Standard Royal Mail. If you wish for a care sheet to be provided as well please let me know in your message.

Thank you for your time,
Grey

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have four batches left with one on reserve so that's three batches left. If you're interested but want a smaller number of eggs please feel free to PM me and ask as we may be able to arrange something.

Terra (the female) is still laying eggs like a champ so we'll be able to offer more later on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reduced the price to £2.50 per 20 plus £1 postage so that is £3.50 total per order, have refunded people who already made purchases that £1.

3 batches of 20 left with more being laid every day. Feel free to contact if you want a different number of eggs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump.

I wish I could edit the original post but I'm hoping to sell the E. tiaratum ova for £1.25 a tube (that's 10 ova per tube) with a maximum of 5 tubes per person plus a one-time postage charge of £1. Please contact me if you are interested and let me know how many tubes you want, I need to make sure that I have enough left over.

Eggs are continuing to be laid.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hey, could i take a tube please?
please pm me :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Relevant PMs and such sent out couple days ago; still got many, many eggs to sell :) Thanks so much to those who have bought some so far!

Just a reminder:
10 ova (eggs) costs £1.25
Each order incurs a single postage charge of £1
Have as many tubes as you like (as long as I have the eggs, of course ;))

The next batch will be dispatched tomorrow but I'm also able to send them out at different days during the week so don't worry if you can't pay until the actual week.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.