Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if many people use these? I've got a cliff type thing in with my leo and I find it works quite well, heres some pretty poor pictures of it :D

Before I got all of the sand/hides/leo in there :p

Right:

Left:

Set up featuring one leopard gecko :p

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i've got real rocks stuck together to make a wall, helps bd to keep her claws short, whats it made of, foam would get ripped apart by long claws i think, looks good in yours. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tis polystyrene (that word never looks right to me, too many y's) with sandstone coloured tile grout over it, makes a rough surface which is great when she is shedding. I don't imagine it woule last too long with a beardy though unless you used quite a thick layer of tile grout.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i made my own in my old vivs from expanding foam then coated it in a mixture of pva and sand.
was tough as boots and looked great too.

·
Registered
380 Posts
polystyrene? looks great but if you feed that wee fella crickets im sorry to say that they'll eat it mate, also a hotspot for mites.
not a problem if you disinfect regular tho but the crickets and locusts will eat it, sorry :cry:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was thinking of doing something similar. Will the crickets still eat it, even if it is covered in tile grout? Is there some other way to get the fake rock effect?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Yeah tbh if you covered the poly in varnish to air seal it then add you grout and paint spray etc.. I doubt very much it will be any more of a health risk that your standard exo-terra cave. They crix aren't gonna eat it either :wink:

·
Registered
434 Posts
i've made a hide, a background with built in water bowl, a large water bowl and a couple of shelves out of polystyrene and wall tile adhesive covered in non-toxic varnish for the water bowls i used yacht varnish which needs alot of airing out before it goes in the viv.
i haven't seen the crix eat it etc but thats coz its under bout 8 layers of tile adhesive!!!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
otb2 said:
i've made a hide, a background with built in water bowl, a large water bowl and a couple of shelves out of polystyrene and wall tile adhesive covered in non-toxic varnish for the water bowls i used yacht varnish which needs alot of airing out before it goes in the viv.
i haven't seen the crix eat it etc but thats coz its under bout 8 layers of tile adhesive!!!
Pics ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
i'll try i can't work out how to post them though!!! :?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Register an account on photo bucket. Then go to browse then select the photo, press upload. Then the pic will then upload... then under the pic you will have 3 things one saying:
URL Link
HTML Tag
IMG Code - Click that one and copy it, then paste it on here :D

·
Registered
434 Posts

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
where did you buy the cliff type thing?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts