Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how to make fake rocks and backgrounds etc..
ive seen one person use foam and then coat it with tile grout, just wondered if there was anything else to use.
cheers

·
Registered
336 Posts
that would be the easiest most realistic way without using actual rocks, but most 3d backgrounds are dirt cheap and will cost less than the materials, nonw on mine yet :( but plenty of shops online that will sort you out.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
they seem quite pricey if ur after backgrounds to cover huge vivs though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
thats fair enough, the for method wil be quickest and cheapest but just do checks on the best foams to use.

just use expanding foam over the surface in odd patterns and then when set use a serrated knife to cut to desired effect and use patching plaster/filler to coat it all after. if you want added texture mix in sand with your paint.

i use the stuff to make scenery for wargames, but principle is the same in order to make realistic looking rocky backdrops.

hope that helps a little :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
oh and dont spray paind direct on the foam! it will met and give toxic fumes! will me fine to do after the filler and textured paint though

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
foam is your best bet..can be easily cut or burnt to the correct shape you then cover it with papier mache to provide a key for the plaster or you can use polyester resin . then you can paint or throw sand/stones on it to give a more natural look..

you can slso use that insulating foam that hardens...the gap filler one..makes some funky shapes..only problem is it is toxic so you need to wash it about 25 times!!! to get the toxins out...(even then don't know if it would be too safe if eaten!)

you can use stuff like bamboo which is quite cool..just line it up along the back..cork sheeting is also good or cork bark (if you soak in hot water it will bend flat)..you could also look up fern root but this is very hard to find! (but if you do find some pm me!!! :) )

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
brilliant thanks guys. goina be making lots of mess now hehehe can't wait. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
is good fun, if you burn it wear a mask though.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh right ok thanks for the tip. im planning on doing a full backing on my vivs with levels coming out etc... im goina make a mess :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
it may be worth puttling in a secure shelf if you want ledges, depending on whats gonna be climbing on it a foam ledge may not be super sturdy.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well it'll be for wd and anoles so should be ok, especially cause my wd can't climb.
lol yes i realise it may be pointless just thought it'd look good :oops:

·
Registered
336 Posts
should be fine then, good luck and have fun! :D

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hehehehe cheers :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts