Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, newbie here.

I went into a pet shop in Great Yarmouth last week which was selling a "Midwest, False Map Turtle".

I'd never really thought about keeping Turtles before, mainly due to the prices I've seen them sold at. This shop was selling the Turtle for £15.

I've kept tropical fish for years now and I currently have a 4 foot community tank. I also have a 4 foot (200 litre) tank currently stored at my brothers.

I'm now thinking about the following setup.

A 4 foot tank filled 3/4 full (about 12" deep) with a U.V light, heat lamp over a basking platform, water heater and an external aquarium filter rated at 2000 lph. I'd also like to keep Guppys. The False Map in the pet shop was in with Guppys and never bothered with them apparently (even the live born fry).

I'd really appreciate any hints, tips or advice, particularly regarding alternative turtle options, the best ones to keep with fish and the types of fish and stocking levels.

Brewski.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Ok, first point to make is that Map turtles are not tropical, so keeping them in heated water at tropical fish temperature is too warm. Maps are a temperate species and water temps circa 20 degrees is sufficient

You will not need a water heater.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that the same as the Midwest FALSE Map Turtle?

Coming from the Midwest of America I would have assumed they would need heating. Seeing 1 sharing a tank with Guppys would reinforce that too.

I'm not trying to correct you, I just want to make sure.

Brewski.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to both of you for your input. That link is very interesting.

So a male False Map would be fine in 200 litres of water. But are there any other types of Turtle I should consider? Is £15 for a False Map about right, and if so how does that compare to the price of other Turtles I could appropriately home?

Brewski.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
The species is entirely up to you, however buying a hatchling will mean you won't know the sex until it's sowewhat larger/older.

Maps are often seen available for re homing, often free. Getting an older animal will mean you can sex it.

There are several small species mud turtles, musk turtles or even spotted turtles.

As I said the species is up to you!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If you decide to try it, I would suggest small fast fish likr guppies, danios and tetras.

You can never guarantee the turtle will not catch them, so you need to be prepared for lossee

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks,

I'll perhaps try some Zebra Danios and White Cloud Mountain Minnows as I know they are ok in cooler water. I would love the False Map Turtle as the size would fit my Tank and I think I'm right in saying they are proper swimmers (liking deeper water rather than a paddling depth).

The good thing about Guppies of course, is I probably wouldn't have to buy any more even if the Turtle did catch a few. They have fry so readily It would be self sustaining. Lol

Brewski.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi I keep White Cloud Mountain Minnows in with my Emys.

They are largely ignored (turtles do not chase them) though over a matter of months one or two do go missing. I put this down to the Emys hunting them at night when the fish movement slows down.

Never tried Guppys but have seen them featured in plenty of turtle setup photos.

Danios would likely be ok given there quick movement and tolerance of lower temps.

Incidentally Danios and White Cloud Minnows are not a good mix as the Danios tend to stress the minnows......especially Zebras.

:hmm:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seeing the 1 in the pet shop with Guppies is what made me think False Maps would need heated water. Although the 1 in the pet shop was only about 3" and I understand they need warmer water when young. I probably would put a heater in the tank but set it low.

I've not heard about Zebras stressing White Clouds before. Seems strange as they are both ideal, peaceful shoaling, community fish and similar in size.

I know Zebras prefer calmer (pond) water and White Clouds faster (stream) water, but apart from that, and originally coming from different areas they seem ideal tank partners.

I will take on board what you have said though, Thanks

Brewski.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.