Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Quite a while ago there was a link posted on this site that contained particularly nasty photos of someones reactions to a FWC bite.

I have searched and searched and cant find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Si

·
Registered
87 Posts
i phoned i guy up today funnyly enouth and he recomended me 1 in my opinion they are very agressive and do bit alot. people have different reactions. i guess if it just bites u painfull and swelling and if it munches u lol hospital trip at end of the day it is still a cobra.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
False Water Cobra's aren't a species of cobra, they're not even in the same family! Cobra are elapids, FWC's are colubrids.

Their venom is pretty potent - comparable in toxicity to that of a timber rattlesnake. So theoretically the bite could be pretty serious, but they only produce 10mg of venom (rather than a timber rattler's 100mg) and their poor delivery system means they'll not get much of that into you (unless you let them chew away for a while.....), so there's not usually much of a reaction to the bite.

I've only managed to find one properly documented report of a bite http://www.mib.ch/toxi/lit/p38738.html where the guy was munched on for a minute and a half. There's also a story of one death, although this seems to be urban legend and I can find nothing to back it up, plus one third hand account of a bite on the arm leading to permanent disfigurement of the arm - no photos. The site for that one isn't working atm, but I have it here somewhere if you want it pasting up.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
there was a topic on here not so long ago with the pictures hes askin for i looked last nite but i cudnt find it

G

·
I thought that topic was from a rattler with the very graphic photos.I didnt think that was from an FWC as i used to keep them and replied to all the FWC threads

·
Registered
675 Posts
was it definately definately a FWC?? like mentioned, there were some very graphic photos that Thorr posted, but they definately werent from FWC's!
I know some one made a post asking if you needed a DWA license to keep them (to which i think the reply was no- which would also suggest they werent overly dangerous) That post also prompted me to look it up and from what i read there's only ever been a few serious reactions.

I guess it depends though, I'm severely allergic to bee and wasp stings, so I may be very sensitive to FWC venom too!

Hehehe I'm on a right rant arent i? sowwwy, this topic interests me tonnes! been readin up on neuro and heamo toxins.....well interesting!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ms.P said:
was it definately definately a FWC??
Absolutely adamant. It was through a link, so the searches are not playing ball...

The site had a particular point that this was a severe reaction towards a FWC bite. I remember it distinctly.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Can't help you with your search (new on these forum malarkies), but I used to keep and breed several FWC (only have one pair now). Temperament varies tremendously, the nasty ones I have had have bitten, and chewed me lots of times, with no reaction at all - other than the bite wound bleeds profousely. An old friend of mine who is sadly no longer with us (not due to a FWC!) told me of an adverse reaction to a FWC bite. John Foden was curator at Drayton Manor Park, he was bit at the zoo then had to travel on the train some two or three hours later. Once on the train he became ill, feeling sick and his arm where he was bitten became swollen. Nothing much more than that to be reported - and I could also tell a similar story of an adverse bite from a Western Hognose snake causing a similar reaction to another keeper! Not trivilising the bite of a FWC, just saying that a lot depends on the amount of venom they can get into you, and the reaction that each individual will take.

Good luck with your search, I dare say its possible that a FWC bite could cause some serious tissue damage, much in the same way a bad reaction to a wasp sting could.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The account of the US pet store employee who was chewed on for 1.5 mins is very interesting. I have to ask how the hell it hung on for 1.5 minutes- I would have peeled that critter off in seconds, even if it caused me to bleed profusely! Better that than give it a chance to fully utilise the rear venom system. If he was in a pet store there must have been others around who could help open the mouth but whatever sequence of events allowed it to hang on so long it is a very good illustration of the fact that FHC venom is nasty and can cause a great deal of discomfort. Imagine if that had been a baby or small child- it could have been a great deal worse. It is enough to put me off keeping one- i have 2 young children.

·
I am here to annoy you :)
6,588 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts