Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been working outside as I'm a painter and decorator and I've noticed something I find very interesting. When ever I see the false widow have prey in its web (on the edge of a big web) or just walking near the opening to a false widow hide the spider will run out bite the prey then a very strange thing happens the spider will retreat then the prey will walk towards the spiders hide as if it is under a spell. Now after watching this a few times I found it very interesting and I can't work out why the prey would walk towards the spider. Be very interested if anyone has witnessed the same thing?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I know some species can almost hypnotise their prey and pull them towards their web, but I'm not sure about the prey walking by themselves over to the spider...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know some species can almost hypnotise their prey and pull them towards their web, but I'm not sure about the prey walking by themselves over to the spider...
Tell you what it was amazing to watch it could have well hypnotised the prey just found it so strange. I'll be honest I'm a big fan of the false widow

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
my old dear has these infested in our garden and theres young kids that go in the garden the segestria florentina i can deal with but after a lad at the bus stop got bitted 7 times on his neck as one was in his hoodie and an old man ended up in hospital over one, then i got bitten under my t shirt on a hot day it got stuck between my cking and the t shirt i got bit 3 times and it looked like id been punched 3 times in the back i get hypnotised to them with a lynx can and a lighter :whistling2:....... As with any invasive species i think they should be delt with erradication if they were a local spider id prob have more acceptance of them

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
if there was a non native venomous snake trying to establish itself id have no issue with it being culled. (but if its native snakes ul prob find that involves a lengthy custodial sentence lol)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my old dear has these infested in our garden and theres young kids that go in the garden the segestria florentina i can deal with but after a lad at the bus stop got bitted 7 times on his neck as one was in his hoodie and an old man ended up in hospital over one, then i got bitten under my t shirt on a hot day it got stuck between my cking and the t shirt i got bit 3 times and it looked like id been punched 3 times in the back i get hypnotised to them with a lynx can and a lighter :whistling2:....... As with any invasive species i think they should be delt with erradication if they were a local spider id prob have more acceptance of them
I understand where your coming from mate. Even if it bit me I would not be able to kill it lol. I find these spiders fascinating. My garden is full of them all around the house windows not inside yet tho which I must add is good :D.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I know some species can almost hypnotise their prey and pull them towards their web,
Eh what ? :gasp:

Have you been in the sun too long today ? Smoking something that you shouldnt have ?

What an absolute load of old rubbish.
Thats one of the worse sort of old wives tails that I've ever heard.
Maybe you should stop reading comic's to get your arachnid information and take a trip to the reference library instead. : victory:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Eh what ? :gasp:

Have you been in the sun too long today ? Smoking something that you shouldnt have ?

What an absolute load of old rubbish.
Thats one of the worse sort of old wives tails that I've ever heard.
Maybe you should stop reading comic's to get your arachnid information and take a trip to the reference library instead. : victory:
Haha I heard something like it on David Attenboroughs micro beasts (I think that was what it was called), maybe I misheard or I'm getting it mixed up with another species :lol2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts