Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my gecko tries to get her food but it is to fast for her. locusts and crickets jump away just as she is going to eat them and meal worms run away. she wont take food out of my hand or off tongs. she doesnt even try and go after the food she just admits defeat and goes back under her log.
she used to catch them but she does't seem that bothered anymore.
any advice or ideas i could try?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
How old is she? She could just be maturing and getting lazy. My female did. I was really worried, but just kept an eye on hr and she wasn't losing weight, so left her to it.

It can seem sudden, almost like they mature over night!

Emma xXx

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
you can try putting the crix and locusts in the fridge for 5-10 mins, it will put them in a sleepy state and slow them down a bit.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont know how old she is as dont have any history before i got her.

·
Registered
336 Posts
how do mealies run? :?

stick crix in the fridge for 30 mins and they all go to sleep! if you use a crix keeper you get spare caps for the tube, catch some crix, cap both ends and fridge the buggers! or use a seperate tub and repeat the above.

30 mins later tip in a little dust, shake em senseless and chuck ehm in your feeding dish.

will take a few mins to gather their wits but they wiggle and jiggle enough to be seen and chomped by the leo

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
i always thought their food had to be at room temp so as not to upset their tummy n aid digestion,so whenever i feed waxies which i keep in the fridge,i hold the damn thing for 10mins to warm it up are you all now telling me not only do i not have to hold worms i also dont have to pull the legs off the bugs.......i can just put em in the fridge! if only some1 told me that earlier lol

·
Registered
336 Posts
they level out once you take em out and they have been in the viv. i use this for my beardies and had no ill effects.

if your worried do for 15, i usually do 30 mins cos i forget about them!

·
Registered
849 Posts
i always thought their food had to be at room temp so as not to upset their tummy n aid digestion,so whenever i feed waxies which i keep in the fridge,i hold the damn thing for 10mins to warm it up are you all now telling me not only do i not have to hold worms i also dont have to pull the legs off the bugs.......i can just put em in the fridge! if only some1 told me that earlier lol
It won't do them any harm eating a cold prey item but it may be unpleasant for them I guess, just like you eating lots of freezing ice cream.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
always squeeze the hopping legs for adult BD stops them hopping. Leave the young'uns to it as much more active.
Hope im not going to get a visit from aminal rights for this admission.:oops:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
how do u manage to hold them to pull off or squeeze legs???? :?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
i wuddnt be brave enough incase i slipped and let the lil buggers escape :?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if any of the locusts or circketc escape my cats soon find them and bring them back to me still alive.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
when you put them in the fridge to calm down how long does it last

·
Registered
336 Posts
depends on how cold the fridge is and how hot the viv is, but a few mins normally

1 - 20 of 24 Posts