Reptile Forums banner

fat tail gecko live plant advice

11K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Chrishicks 
#1 ·
I'm looking into put sum live plants in with my fatties and advice on what plants to use, also if u dont think its suitable then please say.... think of use coco husk/eco earth as substrate many thanks

#2 ·
In terms of substrate I usually use a mix of soil, sand and leaf litter. It gives the soil a bit more structure and allows for digging. For live plants I would take a look at dart frog and bioactive herps. They've got a good selection and all safe for vivs

#3 ·
If I was you I would use sand soil mix topped with coco husk so the pants have something good to grow in and...it depends you can try go natural and look at what species plants share their habitat in the wild or I would say because of their size go for a parlour palm or pothos

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Are you using (or willing to use) any lighting? Because as fat tailed geckos are nocturnal, then you may not be using any lights, and most plants will die in a nocturnal vivarium unless providing the right daytime illumination.

Bromeliads do fairly well in drier enclosures, as do succulents (there are a number of non toxic species). You could also go for air plants if you have a more rocky style enclosure. I've had luck growing Draecana in very dry enclosures, as well as spider plants, although they are often listed as needing moisture, I find they are hardy enough to make do with whatever you give them.

Many plants require a higher humidity and water level than you'd want with a fat tail though so you're a little bit limited.

Reactions: jamesbreck
#5 ·
Did think about sand soil mix after I wote this lol. Not to fussed about go in for a natural habitat look but I like the Idea... got a 3ft fish tank which will b housing 2 fatties so don't want to over do it... I also looked into bioactive but can't get round how the don't eat them??? Or how to set it up tbh any thread n her about setting up bioactive???

#6 ·
Pretty easy tbh get some topsoil get some playsand mix the too together and then chuck some sprintails in and some leaf litter if you want and if you ad earthworms then it will ad some form of enrichment as they may want to try dig them up

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I am at the moment to keep temps up in the day as ether my heat mat not powerful enough or I got to much substrate but cleaned them out earlier so got less substrate in so gonna see how that works out but I've seen sum where not to sure if true but I can use a low uvb bulb for plants as long as they get good hides and that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.