Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could i be over feeding my burmese python? she is currently just over the 3 foot mark, and she is eating 3weener rats per fortnght(2 one week, one the next). she isnt fat, but she is shedding again, and she only shed 3/4weeks ago. my milk and king get the same amount of food items (smaller obviously) as they are of simalar age, but only shed every 2 months.

i am asking, because there are no solid guidelins on care sheets etc, so i need to findout what others do

thanks

Dan

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Does she feel 'squishy' or does she feel muscular?

From what I understand, this is the test - if she's muscular, then you're probably feeding just right - but if she feels squishy, especially underneath, she might be gaining more fat than muscle.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she looks quite bulky, but shes firm all over tbh.i just dont want her to be "powerfed" if this is ok, for her size then great,

the thing is, she still looks for a third after her second, and almost expects a second in the 1 week. but after eating, she still has room, and activly is hunting after 4/5 days.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I know burms grow fairly quickly so it shedding its skin again doesn't mean much... Pinch the skin.. if it falls back into place nicely then he healthy. Thats my test to see if they are hydrated enough.... I would think anything it takes will just go into growth anyway, doubt you'll get a fat baby

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Your in no real danger of power feeding her at this stage, wait until she's a year old and then re-evaluate your feeding strategies :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was told that a good way to evaluatewether a snake is overweight or not is to look at the tail end. If it tapers out nicely then its not fat. If it suddenly goes from fat to thin right at the end then its overweight.

I don't know how accurate that is, it could be total crap. I heard it at college before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts