Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally bought the wrong size mouse (adult mouse) for my baby boa (under 2 feet) to eat. He ate it anyways. 2 and a half weeks ago... He won't eat again, shows no signs of hunger. While this makes sense, i know they are supposed to be fed every 5-7 days. How long should he go without eating before i start worrying? Anything I should do? I obviously bought smaller rodents.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
You accidently bought the wrong size mouse. Then you accidently defrosted it. Then you accidently fed it to your snake.

Did you not accidently realise it was too big? At any of those accidental points?

To be fair, if a snake has struck and fully swallowed without regurge then it was probably manageable. Could be another reason it's not eating. But 2 and a half weeks is a long way from worrying time. But it is a good time to make sure your husbandry is right.

·
Premium Member
16,503 Posts
Probably gouging to die

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Ive had a male snake go a good portion of a year without a meal and he was fine.

He is currently fasting now since August!!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Ive had a male snake go a good portion of a year without a meal and he was fine.

He is currently fasting now since August!!
Bit different to the situation with this youngster. I avoid feeding large meals to most of my bunch for exactly the reason that they then go longer between feeds. Your little one should be fine, 2 1/2 weeks still isn't such a long time and just keep offering. If the meal had been too big for him to manage then something would have been apparent before now.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I can't figure out is why your feeding mice ?
Ideally it should be on rats which is better meal for him.
Like most are saying 2 weeks is nothing so need no need to worry just get him on and used to rats ASAP.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mice or rat weaners nah ta worry yet - I purposely leave young and old a like with three and four week gaps at times just to keep weight gain and growth more natural.

I actually prefer using mice on, small snakes over rat pups, as the gain again can be a little forced especially if feeding every 5 days @@

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Mice or rat weaners nah ta worry yet - I purposely leave young and old a like with three and four week gaps at times just to keep weight gain and growth more natural.

I actually prefer using mice on, small snakes over rat pups, as the gain again can be a little forced especially if feeding every 5 days @@

To be fair, when they're young it's better to feed more often than that because it's their growing period. But each to their own.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Like most are saying 2 weeks is nothing so need no need to worry just get him on and used to rats ASAP.
I have always fed mice to all my snakes with no issues what so ever.
May have used the odd rat over the years out of necessity but that's it. :whistling2:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I have always fed mice to all my snakes with no issues what so ever.
May have used the odd rat over the years out of necessity but that's it. :whistling2:
I just tried this method of only feeding mice

After eating 240 adult mice the big retic is still hungry??

Can I go please go back to goats??

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I think the point here is that theres nothing to worry about... have a quick check of the set up to be sure... but don't go panicking!

:)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
nothing to worry about, if he ate it easily its not a problem,
He could well be due to go into shed, as much as boas love food, you do get the odd few that go off food pre shed
has he pooped yet? they always seem more hungry after theyve done thei busness, i dont usually feed my lot until theyve had a big poop..apart from my female hogg..she'll hold it in for weeks at a time lol

Reactions: necrow

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Mice are perfectly fine for young boas. I personally prefer them as they are mature at a much smaller size and mature prey is more likely to offer a more balanced meal. I do, however, also feed rats to young boas, more for variety than anything else and to prevent any problems with the transition to rats (which is not a problem I have ever had - so far).

To be fair, when they're young it's better to feed more often than that because it's their growing period. But each to their own.
Whilst I agree that you young boas shouldn't go too long without food as it is their peak growing period, I do also think that in captivity we tend to over feed them and grow them too fast. I have heard so many, albeit anecdotal, reports of large boas and pythons who appear to be healthy and in great condition, but upon death and necropsy show abnormal and even pathological amounts of visceral fat. I tend to feed my boas every week to 10 days normally, but with the occasional feed every two weeks instead.

I accidentally bought the wrong size mouse (adult mouse) for my baby boa (under 2 feet) to eat. He ate it anyways. 2 and a half weeks ago... He won't eat again, shows no signs of hunger. While this makes sense, i know they are supposed to be fed every 5-7 days. How long should he go without eating before i start worrying? Anything I should do? I obviously bought smaller rodents.
I agree with the above really. It is nothing to worry about yet. Just check all husbandry is good and leave the snake alone for a week and then try to feed it again.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree Jack - What I meant by leaving them for four weeks, this I do occasionally just to keep them active and burning energy ;) 10 days too 14 is quite fine even for youngsters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nothing to worry about, if he ate it easily its not a problem,
He could well be due to go into shed, as much as boas love food, you do get the odd few that go off food pre shed
has he pooped yet? they always seem more hungry after theyve done thei busness, i dont usually feed my lot until theyve had a big poop..apart from my female hogg..she'll hold it in for weeks at a time lol
Strangely this is the most useful comment I have seen so far! My boa constrictor is a Hogg, and come to think of it, I haven't found the poop yet. And I looked. That is probably the problem, thanks!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You accidently bought the wrong size mouse. Then you accidently defrosted it. Then you accidently fed it to your snake.

Did you not accidently realise it was too big? At any of those accidental points?

To be fair, if a snake has struck and fully swallowed without regurge then it was probably manageable. Could be another reason it's not eating. But 2 and a half weeks is a long way from worrying time. But it is a good time to make sure your husbandry is right.
It is my first snake, and I did not realize that it was the wrong size until I went to buy more, an they gave me a size that was waaay smaller. Good to see that it was manageable, but I will definitely want to feed smaller so I can feed more often for the snake of his growth

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.