Reptile Forums banner

fed up of not knowing answer.

900 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  clarkemcrobb 
#1 ·
sorry if this sounds a bit morbid but get asked occasionally how they kill the mice rats etc that we feed. can any one out there enlighten me????????????????

G
#8 ·
It is done with a CO2 chamber.The mice or rats then go to sleep before they die so the feeling is that they do not feel anything.It takes a lot less time to "gas" adult rodents than it does to do the pinks or pups.Where i get my rats and mice from the rodents are gassed then put into a blast freezer within 15 minutes of death.Most places that do this on a large scale are exactly the same.They then move from a blast freezer into normal freezers untill they are sold later in the week.I know that where i get mine from never has any stock in the freezer for more than 5 days.

#11 ·
a good hard whack works when done correctly...

#12 ·
captaincaveman said:
optical illusion said:
Slapshot said:
sounds like a lot of trouble to me, imagine having to run your car engine to kill a few pinkies, must cost a fourtune.
Car exhaust releases carbon monoxide not CO2! :D

not true, plenty of co2 comes out also. thats why the cars are affecting the climate
Yeah and a few more gasses as a bonus.

#13 ·
fed up

thats what i have to do when culling my rodents, if ya know what you`re doing it`s very quick, as the whack breaks the neck hence instant death, very humane but not for the faint hearted.

I do breed rats & mice for snake food, & rats for sale as pets as well if anyone wants em`, Bazza has a nice trio of my russian blue dumbo het for satin rats so what doesn`t go to the snakes will get ya at least £15 for normals & £35 each for satins, so a good sideline as well as feeding the snakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.